Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

What should I put in my crab's cage?

Post by Salt and Pepper »

I have bought 2 Hermit Crabs yesterday. I have been reading alot of books and information, so I do know how to take care of them. They are in a large fish tank that has colored rocks and sand in it, a small container with water that is easier for climbing in and out, a small branch, a lid with Hemit Crab food in it, and a big blue aquarium rock. The crabs are both medium sized. I want to know if there is anything else I should put in the cage such as aquarium decorations, branches, a heater, saltwater exct.

Thank you!
-Salt and PepperXx
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Re: What should I put in my crab's cage?

Post by emmac350 »

I would recommend that you check out the crab care section at http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabcare/. It has a lot of information about what substrate to use (i.e. what types of sand because all sands are not equal, what kind of beddings are NOT okay), ornaments (dishes, extra stuff for them to climb on), a little bit about adding second and third stories to the tank (definitely a highly recommended thing - of my crabs in my tank right now, only one isn't on a second or third story), the proper heat and humidity levels, the types of water you need (both fresh and salt water are needed, but not just any salt or fresh water...the details are in the crab care section), what to feed them (commercial crab foods are NOT okay to give your crabs), and seashells that you should get them.

To put my two cents in:

- "I have been reading out of alot of books and information, so I do know how to take care of them" - while you can usually get a very basic idea about crab care from the "how to care for hermit crabs" books, most of them have very incomplete information. I have seen books that don't mention that your crab needs humidity to breathe (which is true - they suffocate if it's too dry and are inactive if it's too high), and I've seen books that say that hermit crabs are short-lived pets (one crabber named Carol of Crabworks has had two crabs for 32 years now, so that's obviously not true). I would recommend that you read everything in the crab care section, use the search box in the upper right corner of the forums to search anything that doesn't make sense to you, and ask questions about anything that still doesn't make sense.

- "They are in a large fish tank that has colored rocks and sand in it" - what size fish tank? Rocks are generally frowned upon as a substrate for crabs because they can't dig in it to molt - they don't hold the 'caves' they go into when molting. Also, colored substrates are usually avoided because the coloring compounds generally haven't been tested for their effects on the crabs. What type of sand do you use? Is it moist or dry?

- "a small container with water that is easier for climbing in and out" - I assume you're talking about fresh water? What kind of water do you use? Tap water? Dechlorinated water? What dechlorinator do you use? Also, deep dishes are usually better for crabs - at least deep enough that they can get the entire opening of their shell into it. You can have something (glass beads, etc.) at one end to make getting out easier, but my crabs love to take a dip into the water bowls to flush out their shell water.

- "a small branch" - I recommend getting a cholla log (google it - you'll find tons of them, and if you don't, look at http://www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com/) and grapevine/mopani wood logs at pet stores, etc. Wash and bake them (to prevent bug infestations) and put them in there. Don't be afraid to go too big - I have a 24 inch cholla log in my 30 gallon tall tank and I always have a crab inside of it or on the outside of it. Crabs love to climb - they climb trees in the wild - and this is a great way for them to get exercise.

- "a lid with Hermit Crab food in it" - what kind of food is it? Commercial? Do you offer any kind of fresh food? Crabs are naturally picky eaters - they refuse to eat the same thing more than one day in a row (unless it's a special treat like cake, I hear they'll eat that anytime) and so some will starve themselves to death if offered the same thing day after day. Commercial foods tend to have insecticides in them that can actually kill your crabs - look to see if ethoxyquin or copper sulfate are listed in the ingredients list of yours. If so, get rid of it immediately. The addiction store (linked above) has tons of great-priced crab foods, or you can just give them small pieces of what you're eating (minus spices). So if you're having a salad with dinner, give them small pieces of everything in the salad, and some of the meat. If you search in the search box in the upper right corner of this page for "food groups" you should get a pretty good idea of what you can give your crabs - there's a TON more than you'd think.

As for a heater, your crabs need to be at a relatively constant temperature of between 75-78 degrees F. They need humidity between 70 and 80%. They DEFINITELY need sea salt water. And give them tons of stuff to climb on - check out the gallery (linked on the main forum page) for pictures of other peoples' tanks. You can get some GREAT ideas from there.

I hope you don't feel like I'm putting you or your crab setup down - I'm trying to give you advice to make your crabs more happy and to give them a happy, healthy life. My first crab tank was a rubbermaid container with torn-up cardboard in it (well, it was my roommate's, but she didn't take care of them so they kind of were mine) so I know that we always have stuff to learn about our pets. Congratulations on the new additions to your family, and good luck! We're always here for answering questions if you need it!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Emma, and would suggest to take some of the info out of the books you claim you have read with a grain of salt. Many are outdated and not up to date with today's current knowledge and care that is known today to be successful.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

It's a 55 Gallon Fish TanTank, we have no temperature adjustments ("You don't know how much it cost"), I have half the container with All-Purpose sand, the rocks are aquarium gravel (that are not 'pointy'), the food is "Land Hermit Crab Food" from a pet store, andthe food and water dish are made of lids. We haven't bought anything yet, we used what we had at home. I stay with my aunt during the week and she says "We don't know how much it cost" and stuff and is mostly about 'conserving' stuff for our crabs. When I see my parents this weekend, I'll ask him if we can get more supplies. I hope the condititons aren't hurting my crab :( :( -.- .

-Salt and PepperXx
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

The thing about crabs is that while the initial costs are kind of steep, once you get a good setup going, your crabs will live without any problems and you'll see them more as well. I try to use as much stuff I have sitting around the house in the tank as I can (I knitted them climbing stuff, for instance) but some things you just have to grit your teeth and buy.

What exactly is "all-purpose sand"? What brand/where did you get it?

The aquarium rocks aren't exactly the best idea, but I don't see too much of a problem having them in there; maybe Marie (ladybug) will say something different though.

What brand of "Land Hermit Crab Food"? Do you give them fresh foods? You can just give them food that you're eating for dinner - fresh food is better for them anyways. That way you don't have to spend extra money on them.

What kind of lids are your food and water bowls made out of? What kind of material are they (glass, plastic, metal)? How deep are they for your waters? Do you offer salt and fresh, or still just fresh?

I agree with your aunt about conserving as much as possible for the crabs. I pay $1.78 every month or so on two gallons of water for the crabs, and I paid $15 up front for the salt to make their salt water and I've had it almost a year now and still have well over half of it left. I feed them as much of our food as I can, as this saves me money, but I save money up every month for the next time I need to buy crab stuff. Do you get an allowance you can save up for things for your crabs? If not, you should ask for one so you aren't continually asking for money for your crabs.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Unfortunately there are just somethings one cannot cut corners on to keep their hermies healthy. Here is an article spidtat put together for cost cutting tips that maybe of some help.

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... toryid=159

For the cost of the needed items... one can go to Petco's or PetSmarts web sites and do a search for the items needed to get a general idea of the cost. (Google is great for this)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
spidtat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 40
Total gallons: 110

Post by spidtat »

Those are just a few examples in the article Marie linked you too. There are a lot more things you can use and find that I did not mention. Somethings though just have a cost and you just have to shop around to find the best deal available, like heating whether it be lights, lamps, or a UTH all have a cost and we cannot skimp on those or make them ourselves. The good thing is though a lot of everyday items can be used and like it was mentioned food is pretty easy as long as it is unseasoned and unsalted and no pesticides used you can feed them a lot of different foods a lot of people already have in their homes.
Keep On Crabbin'<--- My New Store Check It Out!!! Now carrying Happy hermit Kibble and Crabotanicals!!!
Now on Facebook as well, check out Keep On Crabbin'

1 Rug, 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

The hermies need to eat fresh foods. Say if y'all have lettuce in the fridge, break off a small piece of lettuce and give it to them to eat. Just make sure that you rinse fruits and veggies well before giving it to them. Here's a safe food list on what the hermies can eat. Remember, they need variety. Just like you have to eat fruits, veggies, meat, etc. so do they.

Acorns (crush and soak overnight in salt water then drain before serving)
Alfalfa
Almonds, crushed
Amaranth (Ancient grain)
Anchovy oil
Apple and natural, unsweetened apple sauce
Apricot
Arame
Artichokes
Asparagus
Avocado
Bamboo (live plants make wonderful tank toys and grazing)
Banana
Barley
Beans, yellow wax
Bee pollen
Bee propolis
Bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, green or purple)
Bilberries/Huckleberries
Blackberry leaves
Blackberry
Blackstrap molasses (unsulfured) - amazingly high in nutrients such as calcium and potassium; 1-2 times monthly
Bladderwrack
Bloodworms (alive or dead)
Blueberries
Borage blossoms (Borago officinalis)
Broccoli and leaves
Brown rice
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage (all varieties)
Calcium carbonate powder, plain
Calendula flowers (Calendula officinalis)-Also known as "pot marigolds"
Camellia (Camellia japonica)
Canteloupe
Carnation flowers (Dianthus caryophyllus)
Carrots
Carrot tops
Cauliflower and leaves
Celery leaves
Cereal; Brown rice, soy, wheat or 7 grain, muesli
Chamomile flowers
Chard
Cheese (be sure to get all natural varieties, serve as occasional treat)
Cherimoya
Cherry
Chestnuts
Chicken bones
Chicken, cooked and unseasoned (smash the bone for marrow access)
Chickweed
Cholla wood
Cilantro
Citrus (all fruits)
Clams
Clover blossoms and leaves
Coconut and coconut oil
Cod liver oil
Collards
Cork bark
Corn (on the cob, too)
Cornmeal
Cranberries (dehydrated)
Crickets
Crustaceans (any and all crustacea including crayfish, lobster, shrimp and other crabs)
Cucumber
Currants
Cuttlefish bone, powdered
Dairy products (milk, cheese, live-culture yogurt) **
Daisies (Bellis perennis)
Dandelion flowers, leaves and roots (Taraxacum officinale)
Day lilies (Hemerocallis)
Egg, scrambled or soft boiled
Eggshells
Elderberry flowers (Sambucus canadensis)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Fig (ripe fruit only)
Fish flakes w/out chemical preservatives
Fish Oil
Flax seeds/Linseeds (crushed)
Flax seed oil (small amounts infrequently)
Frozen fish food (esp. algae, krill and brine shrimp)
Garbanzos
Gladiolus (Gladiolus spp.)
Gooseberry (ripe or overripe)
Grape Leaf
Grapes
Grape seed
Grapevine (vines and root)
Green and red leaf lettuce (not iceburg; dark green)
Green Beans
Hazel leaves
Hempseed Meal
Hibiscus flowers (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)
Hikari products: brine shrimp, krill, crab cuisine, sea plankton (no preservatives)
Hollyhock flowers
Honey (organic, or at least locally produced, for anti-microbials)
Honeybush
Honeydew Melon
Honeysuckle flowers (Japanese Lonicera japonica)
Impatiens (Impatiens wallerana)
Irish Moss
Japanese red maple leaves, dried (Acer palmatum)
Jasmine flowers (Jasmine officinale)
Johnny-Jump-Up flowers--(Viola tricolor)
Kamut
Kelp
Kiwi
Lentils
Lettuce(dark green varieties)
Lilac (Syringa vulgaris)
Lima Beans
Lobster with crushed exoskeleton
Locusts (dead)
Lychee fruit (fresh; no kernel)
Macadamia nuts
Madrona wood
Mango
Mangrove (small live trees can be obtained on eBay, use in water basin)
Maple leaves
Maple syrup
Marion Berries
Milk thistle flowers (Silybum marianum)
Mint (but not peppermint!)
Most organic baby foods
Muscadine (grapes)
Mushrooms
Mussels
Nasturtium flowers (Tropaeolum majus)
Nettle (wilted)
Nettle, stinging (pour boiling water over leaves first)
Oak Leaves and bark
Octopus
Okra
Olive and olive oil (extra virgin)
Oranges
Oysters
Pansy flowers and leaves (Viola X Wittrockiana)
Papaya
Parsley
Parsnip
Passionflowers (Passifloraceae - passion flower family)
Passionfruit
Peaches
Peanut butter (avoid sugar, corn syrup and hydrogenated oils)
Peanuts
Pears
Peas
Pecans
Pecan bark
Persimmon
Petunia blossoms
Pineapple (including leaves)
Pistachio nuts
Plum
Pomegranate
Popcorn (unseasoned, unflavored, unbuttered)
Potato (no green parts, including eyes)
Psyllium & husks
Pumpkin
Purslane (Portulaca oleracea)
Quinoa (New World grain)
Raisins (no sulphur dioxide)
Raspberry
Red raspberry leaves (highest bioavailable calcium source + vit. C and trace minerals)
Red root (Ceanothus Americanus, otherwise known as red root; high in tannin)
Rolled Oats
Rooibus (or rooibos)
Roquette (Eruca vesicaria)
Rose petals (Rosa spp)
Rose hips
Royal Jelly
Russian Olive leaves (Elaeagnus angustifolia)
Sage blossoms (Salvia officinalis)
Salmon
Sand dollars
Sardines
Scallops
Sea biscuits
Sea fan (red or black)
Sea grasses
Sea salt
Sea Sponges
Semolina
Sesame seeds (crushed)
Sesame oil (in tiny amounts as appetite stimulant)
Shrimp and exoskeletons
Snails (use human food grade only; not wild snails)
Sorrel (Rumex acetosa)
Soy and soy products (human grade; miso, tofu, etc.)
Spelt
Spinach
Spirulina (complete protein and chlorophyll source; highest in beta carotene)
Sprouts (flax, wheat, bean, alfalfa, etc.)
Squid
Squash (and squash blossom)
Star fruit (carambola)
Strawberry and tops
Sugar cane
Sunflower Seeds (crushed), flowers and leaves (Helianthus)
Swamp cypress wood (false cypress, taxodium sp.)
Sweet potato
Sycamore leaf
Tahini (no garlic variety)
Tamarillo
Tamarind
Tangerine
Timothy hay
Tomatillo (Physalis ixocarpa) (ripe fruit only; avoid feeding foliage and unripe fruit)
Tomato
Triticale
Tulip flowers (Tulipa spp.)
Tuna
Turnip greens
Viola flowers
Violet flowers (Viola odorata)
Walnuts
Wasa All-Natural Crispbread (Oat flavor)
Watercress
Watermelon
Wheat grass
Wheat
Wheat germ
Whitefish
Whole Wheat Couscous
Wild rice
Zucchini (and zucchini flowers)*
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

We went to Petco today for supplies for their cage. First of all, they didn't have the correct size heater for our cage. Our cage is 30 Gallons and they only sold heaters for Small 10-20 Gallon Hermit Crab Cages. Then we bought a "Hermit Crab Water Dish" specially made for Hermies so they can easily crawl-in-crawl-out. They also didn't have any Saltwater, which we were going to buy. We checked the repitle isle, the Hermit Crab supplies section, and the Fish Section. So, we bought some Petco Brand "Freshwater Glub For Hermit Crabs" that came in a bottle and says "Freshwater Glub For Hermit Crabs" PH Balanced, Chorine and Chloramines Free, Specially Formulated for Optimum Hydration.The water is for the crabs to drink and now, misting the tank. We also had bought some food. "TetraBrand Hermit Crab Meal. For all Land Crabs (Hermit, Fiddler, Carribean) Scientifically Formulatred for Optimal Growth.Tetra Hermit Crab Meal is a high-protein diew rich in fish meal and coconut (copra) and fortified with calcium for proper exoskeleton development." This is a big change from what we had last time. What we had last time:

A shallow Peanut Butter dish filled with tap water, a shallow tea tin-lid with FMR (Florida Marine Research) Land Hermit Crab Food, and a branch from our backyard.
Salt and PepperXx
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Did you get at least some type of heater for the crabs? Even if it's a little small, it's better than nothing.

You won't buy pre-mixed salt water - you buy the salt to add to the water. It's in the fish section. You mix it up a gallon at a time (you can figure out how to make less with the ratios, but it's the easiest way to do it.

That "Freshwater Glub For Hermit Crabs" sounds like a rip-off. You can buy a gallon of water that's chlorine and chloramine free and PH balanced for under a dollar at the grocery store (look for one that says distilled or reverse osmosis or both and doesn't have added minerals for taste).

What are the ingredients of the TetraBrand Hermit Crab Meal? If it doesn't contain Ethoxyquin or Copper Sulfate or any other types of preservatives, it'd be okay to give the crabs about once or twice a week. They really need variety in their meals; otherwise, they'll stop eating and can ultimately die from this.

Do NOT give tap water to your crabs. The chlorine in tap water will cause their gills to blister and, ultimately, can kill them painfully. See what I said above in the Freshwater Glub paragraph. $.89 at my grocery store gets me chlorine and heavy metal-free water to give them, and the peace of mind of knowing that their water won't kill them.

If the tea tin lid is made of metal, please take it out of there. I, at one point, used a metal lid for food too and they refused to eat out of it - your crabs do not like metal. If you have another plastic lid, that would be fine.

Did you bake the branch from your backyard? You should put it in the oven at 300 degrees for half an hour or so. This will ensure no parasites on the branch (tiny bugs, fungus, molds, etc.) will get into your tank. What type of tree was the branch from? A pine tree or a pine tree relative? Or a oak/maple/etc. tree?

Mommy to: