Has anyone come up with a solution for UVA and b?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Has anyone come up with a solution for UVA and b?

Post by appps »

I've always had uva and b globes but then discovered the rays don't go through glass or even fine mesh. The bulbs while still giving out light, also only give out uv rays for about 12 months so bought a new bulb yesterday so now I have to try and rethink my lighting so it actually gets to the crabs.

I'm toying with the idea of just getting a hole cut in the glass lid. Has anyone found a better solution?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Has anyone come up with a solution for UVA and b?

Post by emmac350 »

Why are you concerned about UVA/B for your crabs? I haven't seen anything saying that they necessarily need either, especially since they are mostly nocturnal animals that don't spend much time exposed to direct sunlight for more than short stints on occasion.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Post by POPPIT »

Im confused about this...I have heard that all living creatures need sunlight to stay alive and healthy...Although i know there are beings that see no light at all...1 or 2 of my crabs are active during the day as well as at night and it got me wondering that they may need sunlight simulation...As they are not underground dwellers like worms or moles except for exploring and moulting i wonder why they wouldn't need some sun rays...Are they seemingly nocturnal to escape the heat of the day?..Even nocturnal reptiles sunbathe to warm up but they would also be absorbing uv rays...I have been considering getting a uv bulb but am unsure atm...
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Because in nature they would get them. Hermit crabs aren't nocturnal so on hot days on the beach they would get plenty of suns rays.

I don't know of many animals don't need them, they even suggest it for cage birds kept indoors. Turtles kept without it develop soft and lumpy shells. I figure in nature if crabs died molting as often as they seen to in captivity they would be on the endangered list ;-) who knows, maybe the lack of sunlight is why they have problems when growing new shells.

For $40 a year it's something I'm happy to give them anyhow as it can't hurt :-) and will more than likely help. However how do you give them light that won't go through glass.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

For example here is fili as we speak wandering around in the daytime. In nature she'd be getting exposure to UVA and UVB rays.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks Appps this makes a lot of sense as my crabs also come out to eat and drink and play on the shells in the middle of the day but atm not getting the uv rays they would in nature...I think i will check out uv bulbs...Whats the difference between uvb and uva which is better?...Yes i read that glass blocks most of the rays...i think i will remove one glass panel and place tea towels around leaving a gap for the lamp as for a more permanent escape proof plan i can only think of cutting a hole in the lid matching the lamp size your using so to avoid too much humidity escaping but then of course you have a hole to deal with if you choose not to use the light...Hopefully others have some set ups they can post pics of.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

You might consider a tank hood to help with your issue - I have a hood over more than half of my tank with a daytime grow bulb (just for light so I can see the crabs, not sure if it's got UV or not) and two slots for incandescent bulbs. I've got a CHE and the lowest wattage nighttime (purple) bulb I could find in it. I have a piece of plexiglass cut to the exact size of the space the hood leaves open over the rest of the tank.

One other thought - crabs die in the wild a lot. Not of the same reasons, since poisoning, lack of humidity to breathe, and purchasing stress are main causes of captive hermie death. But failed molts probably happen pretty often in the wild as would predatory death, increased rates of cannibalism, human interactions like digging them up, being crushed by cars, etc. However, in the wild their dead bodies are consumed quickly by other creatures so we don't get to see the aftermath of those deaths the way we do in our tanks.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

I've got a hood but if I leave the glass off where the light is the little beggars escape up a cord. :-). As far as I know plexiglass is also going to block the rays.

I think I'm going to have to do a major remodel under my middle light. At the moment that glass is one of the main struts that came built into the tank. I'm setting up a spare tank so I can do a deep clean. Once they are all over there and the tanks completely empty I'll have too see if it's removable and if I can add support somewhere else.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

This is from a pet shop site but if you google uv lights crabs there is plenty of people doing it.

Recent research has shown that low amount of UVB light (2.0 UVB) is necessary for hermit crabs to ward off issues such as vitamin D deficiency and vitamin D toxicity, both caused by the crab’s inability to process the vitamin D without UVB light. Since hermit crabs are nocturnal animals, a lower 2.0 level UVB light is recommended as opposed to the 5.0 level UVB recommended for reptiles. Do be sure to supply several hiding places throughout the enclosure to allow your pet to get away from the light when it feels it is necessary.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

The plexiglass isn't between the lights and crabs at all. It just covers the space the hood doesn't cover. And even if the crabs climb up to the top of the tank they can't get out because the hood sits directly on the top of the walls of the tank. I don't have access to the tank to take pictures of how exactly it fits together, unfortunately.

If the hood covers your tank how exactly do the crabs get out? I can understand having glass/plexiglass cut to the space the hood doesn't cover, but most hoods cover at least 1/2 of the depth of the tank and the whole length (a long, thin rectangle). If you cover the long, thin rectangle it doesn't cover with something else...no escapes. Can you post a picture of your hood and why you think your crabs will get out if you don't have glass under it? I'm really not able to see why yours seems to need extra blocking.

Mommy to: