Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Cadet unexpected probable moult

Post by Ginger »

Hi all,

I was away for a week and unfortunately, not being able to get someone to look after my crabs, I made up everything as best I could to last. I came back and... Wholla! I didn't see anyone for 3 days! But now, Sal and Polly have appeared, however after 11 days, I still haven't seen any signs of Gilly or Cadet (he's about 4 times larger than the others). I'm fine about Gilly being down, as she has a habit of going down for a while quite frequently, and she has moulted twice with me, but Cadet is fairly new, and I haven't experienced a large crab moult yet. I'm hoping he's ok, will keep this post updated, fingers crossed LOL.

Ginger.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Cadet unexpected probable moult

Post by emmac350 »

Large crabs can stay under 3+ months, just to warn you. So write it down on a calendar and then wait through horrible mind-numbing, doubt-inducing terror as you don't see this crab for what seems like FOREVER. Don't dig the tank up for at least another 6 months though, just to be sure. Good luck, Cadet!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Emma! WOW I didn't know it could be 3 months! I expected it to be long, but not that long! Well, now could be the perfect time to search and for some more shells!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

No problem! I was convinced that my larges died every time they molted...only to finally hear scratching on the glass and/or have them return and stare at me while I ogled their sharp toes and fuzzy legs. So take note of the probable date of burial and then wait it out!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Update on Cadet's moult:

Ok... So I have discovered where Cadet has been under! I lifted up the fresh-water dish to change it and I found a gaping hole and Cadet peeking out from his tunnel. This hole has only appeared within the last 2 days, so now I don't know if he needs to come up, is having a very active moult or has just been chilling under the surface. I have a copy of that water dish, so I placed it (empty) back over the hole and put the actual dish in a different location.

EDIT:
This morning, the entire empty dish had caved in, and I found Cadet wedged between the moss basket and the vertical hidey. I think he has moulted, he looks like an echidna! He was under for 35 days, so he was a lot quicker than expected! I'm very glad he came through all good, thank-you for all you help and support. :D I will try to snap a picture later today.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

When moulting, crabs don't dig around. They normally stay in one place to reserve their energy. Most likely he was just chilling out under the substrate or had finished moulting - and hardening - and just was chilling out. :)
But congrats on the moult. I look forward to the pics.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Yes Aussie, I was pretty sure that they stayed in one place while moulting - I was wondering if I was missing his comings-up! Turns out I wasn't. I'm still getting to those pics, he hasn't moved from his spot all day!

I apologise for a mistake I just relised I made, this topic is in the wrong section, it was meant to be in moulting! Well, while its in here and up and running, may I ask... I have been advised to purchase shells from Nautilusy on EBay, but I can't seem to find it... Does anyone have more information of this?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Ginger wrote:I have been advised to purchase shells from Nautilusy on EBay, but I can't seem to find it... Does anyone have more information of this?
Here you go!
clicky Great shop and shells, if I do say so myself. :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Are you that seller Aussie?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks very much Aussie, I will take a look :)
Here are some pics of cadet, he is VERY active, much better than he was since that was his first moult after being in the petstore. I'm sorry about the bad quality, but he would not stay STILL! Also, have you bought from this person before?