What do you think of this community?

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Re: What do you think of this community?

Post by JennyHermit »

I agree. This site has been very helpful, along with the people who organize and contribute. I know I haven't been going on as often as I use to (when I first registered), but I'm trying to keep up!
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
R.I.P, Chessnut! we miss you!!!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

The forum used to be more active before I made it no-so-obvious how to register. Back then, most people would just post all the questions they had in their head here without reading the Crab Care section or using the Search function, even though we've answered those questions dozens of times before. I suppose it was less efficient since some people would post and then do nothing, instead of looking around the site for more information until a reply was given. Now the forum doesn't get new posts everyday, but I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, considering that a lot of guests still visit the forum and use the Crab Care section.
Wai
JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 10

Post by JennyHermit »

ya, i guess, although it would be nice to get SOME questions...
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
R.I.P, Chessnut! we miss you!!!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Sorry for the late reply :D
I kinda feel that theres no one on too :D SO I am super excited when somebody makes a post :P
I but I love this site, it th site with the most aussie owners in one forum! SO it rocks! Thanks Wai.... (LOL, I nearly called you TJ off dragon cav... mayb I should slow down on the dragons)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pkoo »

I love this website and the community. I have only read encouraging and helpful remarks whenever I've visited.

I must say that I was a bit put off by the need to scroll through a lot of material before I could work out whether my question was already answered in an existing post/topic. But often I WOULD find the answers I was looking for. I have often dipped in and out to solve problems as they arise, but haven't had to post. Then when I have been really stuck, help has always been there.

I also appreciate the volume of information available on this site and its relevance for Aussie crabbers. The site is also easy to navigate and has wonderful functions to help members and guests. That's pretty cool for a not so tech-savvy person like me.

When I give up crabbing in the not too distant future I will miss you all. You guys are awesome! -.-
Gail
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 29

Post by Gail »

I've just registered, in fact this is my first post. The site has some great care info, well organized and thorough. However, the forum aspect seems very off putting. Forums are for questions and discussions but with the strict rules about asking questions, it really seems like a glorified google.
I'm afraid to post in case I incur the wrath on a mod, last thing a newbie needs is to get jumped on for breaking a rule. I completely understand that answering the same questions over and over again gets really old. I was a member on a reptile board for 6 years and the sheer amount of stupidity was mind boggling. It got to the point that many senior members just stopped answering the basic questions.
All those posts did have a purpose though, it broke the ice for newbies and helped them feel at home on the forums. It also kept the forum alive and active. After 10+ years, its still a very active community, not something you see often with a reptile specific forum.
I'll swing by here periodically to check the care section but with the unfriendly atmosphere of the forums, this will probably be my only post. I don't even think its possible for me to reach the required 4 post to be able to PM.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Have often thought the same thing. Really I'd rather see more people posting even if the answer can be found by ten minutes searching and get the forum moving than a really quiet form where nobody posts.

I post on another pet related forum and really nobody cares the basic questions get asked over and over, it gets newbies joining in and it gives the less new a chance to share what they have learnt so far and the old timers just chime in on the hard ones. It's a great place to hang out as it's active and feels friendly.

The getting roused on for asking basic questions I'm sure stops a lot of new members from coming back and kills that friendly community feel.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

I DEFINIETLY agree. If you look at some of my posts, I often apologise for repeating the same question, but I think that there's always that extra personal detail that you would add which makes them all seperate, and yes, I like having an active forum! I come on every other day to check here, but nothing has been happening lately...
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Thank you to everyone for your feedback thus far. The discussion is much appreciated.

The forum was perhaps most active between 2007 and 2012. In 2010, a lot of drama occurred; therefore the Crab Crew, including myself, formulated the General Rules and Guidelines. Firstly, this was an attempt to prevent future episodes of unpleasant attacks between members and secondly, to minimise the waiting time for people to seek the information they need for their hermit crabs.

I am happy to say that the first objective has been achieved thus far. There have not been any issues between members that I can recall ever since the rules were clearly written out.

The second objective is more difficult to measure. Do reduced post counts indicate that fewer people are being helped? This may be the case, or perhaps people found the answers they were looking for on this website without the need to post? The statistics I have cannot provide a definite answer.

After the drama in 2010, I convinced myself that the forum cannot please everyone. With that in mind, I set the forum a target audience as a trial. This audience, which includes all of you, consists of people who are not only good listeners, but are prepared to seek help themselves. You people are the easiest to get along with and help. This does not mean that members here do not ask complex questions, but are people whom we can keep discussions flowing well.

With the above feedback in mind, I would like to reach out to the newbies that several of you have mentioned. I realise that there will be people who come across the guidelines and then close the window and look elsewhere for help. Evidently, if this place is does not feel welcoming enough, then something can be done to make this environment less intimidating for those who feel so. After all, this forum is not about me, but for everyone.

Please discuss the appropriateness of the General Rules and Guidelines.
  • What is the main issue, the length or content or the rules?
  • What expectations of the guidelines are unreasonable?
  • Which rules need to be changed or erased?
  • If the rule is erased from the post, does it mean that it no longer needs to be followed?
Lastly, I would like to politely speak in defence of the Crab Crew. The Crab Crew are expected to follow the General Rules and Guidelines too. Therefore, a Crab Crew member who 'jumps' on a newbie is too a breach of rule #12.
Rule #12 wrote:Be friendly and respectful to each other. Please take personal issues through private messages or contact myself, the administrator, for help. There is no single "correct" method to crabbing. After all, forums are designed for open discussion.
In the event that a newbie asks something that is considered 'repetitive', it is still expected in the reply of Crab Crew members to guide them in the right direction, such as directing them to a page of the Crab Care section that has the answer, asking for more information and responding in a manner that they see fit. Despite the love of the Crab Crew to help others out of goodwill, the Crab Crew are also volunteers with busy lifestyles. If they do not have time to offer advice, then it is expected of them not to reply, rather than 'jump' on the newbie. Have the Crab Crew really been 'jumping' on newbies?
Wai
Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30

Post by Carrie »

That clarified some things for me as well. I wan't online much around 2010, so I missed the drama that is behind the rules. I spent y'day mulling all of this over. I tend to be a "researcher" who searches out my own answers, rather than a person who posts a lot. I did post on here about a recent situation that came up with my crabs, and I was helped within a day or two, complete with follow-up help. It's hard to research when you're having a crisis you're emotionally involved in. I would like to see both aspects of the forum developed--attention to detail (information that's searchable and easy to find) as well as a place for crabbers at any level to share their stories and photos. I have an odd perspective b/c I was on the forum before and after the drama part--so I'm both experienced and a newbie. I agree that we have to appeal to both audiences. I've studied the rules and thought it over (and written a really long reply--this is the summary). The rules do help stop a lot of drama and flaming and things like that, but they could also intimidate a new person, or a person who's seeking out info in a time of crisis. I think in the interest of helping the crabs we should be willing to repeat ourselves, but also not be subjected to hostility or drama. Perhaps it's time to condense the rules down a little or just go over them and make some changes so that the forum both respects experienced crabbers and welcomes new people. I know I don't post as much as I should personally... just thought I should weigh in on this issue. I've enjoyed the forum in the past and I would like to see crabs (and people!) helped. I'm glad the forum was here during my own recent crab emergency.
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.