Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Great place to get shells from

Post by Gizaroo »

I just recently ordered some shells from a place called North Florida Shells. I received 12 of them for about 6 bucks counting shipping. I asked him to include some shells with the biggest openings he could, and he did! Here's the Website: http://www.northfloridashells.com

Here are some pictures with a quarter in there for size.

Image\

Haha! Blu is inspecting the one I just put in her tank already!
Last edited by Gizaroo on 24 Jun 2011, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Re: Great place to get shells from

Post by rmbrmb »

Sweet!, can you include the website. I could use it. Splash is getting two big.
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Post by arhoads »

The ones in your picture are exactly what I"m looking for but I don't see them on the site. I'm having a terrible time finding a new shell for my Strawberry (Kong) He needs a 2 1/4 inch to 2 1/2 inch opening. He's a new addition and the biggest shell I have is only 2 inches. Everywhere I"ve looked online they either didn't have the size or the size listed wasn't for the opening
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by babesbarn »

I have had some luck with various sizes through The Crab Store called "The Hermit Crab Patch". Just google that and check under shells for various sizes. You might want to get a few medium and actually medium and large. One inch pretty much does it for my Jumbo and he is the size of a golf ball. Maybe a bit larger. But the other guys fit medium and it appears to be about how it "feels" when they touch it. For the longest time, my guys (in the winter) choose to use the ribbed kind. They appear thicker and when I was using coconut substrate "straight", with the heaters I think it helped keep them warm.
Now that it is summer and I have successfully changed the substrate with no fatalities for three months to one and a half parts coconut husk (wet) to five parts play sand. My three hermies appear to like the polished turbo shells with the rounded fronts. I even have a couple nice decorated carved shells polished but they know the difference. They perfer no carvings. Bet it appears to their instinct as broken or defective. They don't know about how lovely the shell is.
Spiderman still likes his beat up shell he has used for over a year. Came out, tried another, and goes right back later. Molted in it too.

This place I found and has a nice variety of shells also but have not purchased any although they seem quite reasonable. Thanks for your link too. bookmarked it. Link here
http://www.beautyshells.com/index.php?m ... x&cPath=69
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Arhtoads, When I got my straws they were in their heavier native shells. (similar to what is in the pictures above) In the picture below:
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... -To-St.jpg
You will see one still in their original native shell, but the others changed for their picture.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... rawberrys/

They were very stubborn about that shell until they molted... but all the straws changed into the turbo's never to go back to their native shells even though 2 could still fit in them.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by babesbarn »

WOW Ladybug, your "strawberries" are just beautiful. So healthy looking! loved your pics :D
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Thank you! I got them in about Nov. of 2004. They are just as fussy and active as when I got them... faster than the energizer bunny! :D
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Sper1322
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 2

Post by Sper1322 »

Hey! I'm on a shell hunt and I figured everyone here is too. I found this great site http://naplesseashellcompany.com/index.html for shells BUT I have a picky crabbie. He only likes the Murex style sea shells and I can't find any with openings bigger than an inch and he needs an 1 1/8-1/4 inches. I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks to make certain shells be more appealing than others. He's much to big for his current shell and I have other sizes in there that would work for him but there not his "style". Will he eventually go into one of them or just be too big for his small shell?
PP's: Ghandi, Gizmo, and Rocco (Rocco currently molting)