amanda
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 2
Total tanks: 1

Lid

Post by amanda »

I have a 2.5 galloon tank, that has been working well. The lid is solid glass. Is that a good or bad thing? I've had the crabs for a few months now & they are doing great. But I started thinking about the air circulation....
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Lid

Post by CrabbyJo »

Amanda - you're right to be thinking about air circulation, your crabs do need some fresh air. What do the humidity and temp readings look like in your tank? If keeping it solidly closed is the only way to keep the humidity stable, you'll have to figure out the dynamics for maintaining it with the lid cracked open a bit.

You also have to consider that those little crabs can get their pokey little feet into the silicone in the corners of the tank and climb to the top, so you'd need a crab safe way to have the lid open without them escaping. Many crabbers use a mesh lid, I don't know how that would work with your glass lid though.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
amanda
Zygote
Zygote

Post by amanda »

To be honest, I'm just learning all the in's & out's of hermit crab care. I do not have any humidity or temp gages. When I would leave the tank cracked, they would climb on the fiber on the back wall and would climb up & out. Then I kept the lid shut & the fiber became moldy.
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

drill holes in the lid with a glass drill bit
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
amanda
Zygote
Zygote

Post by amanda »

Jadexox wrote:drill holes in the lid with a glass drill bit
Great idea! Thank you!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

If using a glass drill bit isn't viable for you, I'm sure you can pick up a mesh lid and set the glass lid on top, enabling you to keep larger pests out as well as crabs in and still be able to open the glass for airflow. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with CrabbyJo and the mesh/screen lid. U.S. summer is almost at its end with fall around the corner. This means even the pests are going to be seeking somewhere nice and warm with a food supply to bunker down in. And the added plus is, one KNOWS their hermies are somewhere in the tank. :)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Emeraldroots
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by Emeraldroots »

I also had a Lid question. I know humidity is important and that living in Arizona, a wire lid will likely be sorely inadequate for humidity. At Petco I saw a lid that I thought might work well for them. Though I cant find the one from Petco this one gives you an idea

http://www.aquariumguys.com/glasscanopy1.html

The one I was looking at looked to be made of Plastic and Glass where the one in the link appears to be made of metal? You really cant get a much larger pic of the lid from that link but its a general idea/comcept of the one I saw.

Let me know what you all think. And anything I may need to consider with this style of lid!

Thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

The one in the link you provided does state it is glass, and possibly it is the light reflecting off of it that has it looking like metal?
We have screen lids on all tanks and iso's here and I placed another layer of nylon screen on top of it to make the holes smaller. This way I know the hermies are in the tank, and it keeps pests out of our tanks. But I do have plexiglas lids too on all the tanks. Got these at Home DePot and had our tank measurements with us and Home DePot cut them to size for us... free.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Emeraldroots
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by Emeraldroots »

Wow nice. Are there any photos I could look at? Im just curious what everyones setups are like. Especially multiple level setups!