Buying live crabs form an online store?

Questions about crabsitting and transporting hermit crabs.
RottenLullaby
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 13
Total tanks: 2

Buying live crabs form an online store?

Post by RottenLullaby »

I have a question, I found this website http://www.livehermitcrabs.com while searching the internet for starwberry and Ecuadorian info, I was wondering if anyone had ever order form a site like this and if you have whats the success rate? My local pet store says he gets his crabs form a site like this and they all come in healthy and they keep them in good condition and they live are all sold of course. He told me they may sell individually and I believe this may be the site form which he orders, I'm just wondering if this is really a good idea or not. I'm not looking to buy now just kind of curious if anyone else has so I can prepare for the future.

Thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Buying live crabs form an online store?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

I have found a great website to purchase hermit crabs!

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

I have found a really nice website called ''Live Hermit Crabs.com'' and they sell many breeds of hermit crabs and very good supplies, instead of just a plastic container or gravel and a sponge, they sell terriums, food, water dishes, foggers,etc.! They also are having a valentines day sale right now and supplies and hermits are not as pricey! Oh and another thing if you were wondering they hermit crab(s) comes in a box with wet moss, a spong and a snack. They pack it with heat packs or ice packs when needed. The box is then placed in a styrofoam lined shipping box. ALso one more important thing the do not ship outside the US! Here is a link to it if you are interested..... http://www.livehermitcrabs.com/index.html
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Well I have seen this sight to it is a guarunteed live shipping, and I am buying from it soon I will notify you if mine turns out to be healthy also they say what they come in. they come in a box with wet moss, a spong and a snack. They pack it with heat packs or ice packs when needed. The box is then placed in a styrofoam lined shipping box
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

hermie_lover3542 Your post have been merged with the existing post about this online store. It appears you also deleted your post from this thread you made yesterday and readded it today after creating another topic on this?
Anyway, please do read the link I provided about this store in my reply above, (and the links within it as well) and there is another experienced crabber who had some bad experience with the hermies they ordered from this store as well:
http://www.allthingscrabby.com/blog/ind ... =3&paged=2
and page 2 here from the guest.

The warning is there...
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Also, an experienced hermit crab owner would not recommend most of the products sold by that store, such as the Calci-Sand and HBH cookies.
Wai
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

by hermie_lover3542 on February 15th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Ladybug, I didn't remove my post. Perhaps it was something that happened on your computer? I'm not sure but you never know.

by hermie_lover3542 on February 15th, 2010, 7:38 pm
Oh I see, sorry sorry sorry I didn't scroll above. Question, how does it merge to a different topic, is there a way to fix it?

Sorry for posting so much, but um I read the links about the live hermit crabs.com, why would they gauruntee live crabs if they do not come in good health or die quickly? Also where is a good place to buy exotics?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

A crab crew member can merge/move/delete/edit postings.
There have been times the crab crew will also need to remove postings that do not add to a thread. (such as just a smiley, lol, replies to old threads that have been resolved, etc.) This is done because some will just post uselessly to see their rank go up too.
And no, it was NOT my computer. I read your reply the day before, (Feb. 12) and when I came on the next day a newer post was created by you "I have found a great website to purchase hermit crabs!". When I merged the newer post with this one, the 'merged' post went before the other one. This in turn means that your "I have found a great website to purchase hermit crabs!" would of been before your "by hermie_lover3542 on February 13th, 2010, 8:52 am” posting, not after.
why would they gauruntee live crabs if they do not come in good health or die quickly?
It’s called advertising! I wonder how many they would sell if they had it “Hermie may arrive alive, but may arrive dead”. Maybe if they would put $25 for live arrival, $10 for dead arrivals? ^)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yep. You can't trust what a store says it will do, you have to go by their reputation according to people who have shopped with them before.

Anybody can "guarantee" live animals. Doesn't mean they will deliver them. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Also, due to animal laws in most countries not really protecting hermit crabs (since they are inexpensive to replace) from being abused or neglected by people, live hermit crab trades are largely unregulated. That store can literally get away with anything. There is certainly NO guarantee the hermit crabs will all arrive alive. Some hermit crabs already have trouble coping with a properly set up tank due to PPS stress, let alone a cardboard delivery box.
Wai