wolf_of_sorrow
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 5
Total tanks: 1

Help, please. Time is of the essence.

Post by wolf_of_sorrow »

I've had my crabs in coconut fiber for a few months now, but recently made the mistake -- if indeed it is the cause -- of wetting one of the logs in their terrain that I got from outside(I spray the substrate once a day, but normally avoid the branches). I noticed in the middle of last week that one of those branches was starting to hold fungi, then, as if from nowhere, these little white bugs began to appear in their water and on the glass of the tank. The crabs have since buried themselves, more than likely due to these -- pests. Does anyone have any idea of what they are? They appear to be good jumpers(fortunately their container is sealed well). However, they're so small that I can't really make anything out in terms of appearance. I'm not quite sure where they came from, unless eggs recently hatched out beneath the wood from being sprayed, and nothing new was added to it other than shells(and they were boiled for five minutes before I did so). I'm at a loss for how they materialized, and am a little skeptical in getting them out again until I first find out what they are(as I don't want to start some sort of infestation in my home attempting to move them out once more and one jumping out or even on me).

Picture:
https://plus.google.com/117689877454031 ... ioDNCSkyZ5

Additional information: they seem to be more on the side with the logs, than the other side(which is why I assumed that is ground zero). Both sides have water, and both sides have them in it, but, again, it is only on the side with the sticks that they're numerous(in terms of being in the water).
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Help, please. Time is of the essence.

Post by Wai »

Take the hermit crabs out and give them a warm salt water bath. Throw the bedding out and wash everything else in hot water thoroughly.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Help, please. Time is of the essence.

Post by aussieJJDude »

Are you sure they aren't springtails? Springtails are pretty common in hermit crab tanks, since its warm and humid. Regardless, they are harmless to the crabs and will form an effective biocrew in cleaning up any uneaten foods and help curb mould growth.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.