I just saw little mites all over my hermit crabs and shells!

Questions about unexpected problems.
SonnyRayTWH
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 37
Total tanks: 1

I just saw little mites all over my hermit crabs and shells!

Post by SonnyRayTWH »

Hey everyone! So just this afternoon I was checking on my hermit crabs when I realized that there where mites just hanging out on my one of my hermit crabs! I've also seen them all over the extra shells. They are really small and tan colored. I'm going to be upgrading my tank to a 37 gallon this Christmas and my best friend is giving me her hermit crabs. I really don't want my new tank to have all these nasty critters in it. How do I get rid of them and prevent them from coming into my new tank?
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: I just saw little mites all over my hermit crabs and she

Post by emmac350 »

Are you sure they were mites? If they weren't on the soft parts of the crabs, they might not be. You're going to need to do some work setting up your new tank to prevent whatever they were from getting in. You'll need new substrate (or to VERY THOROUGHLY wash and bake your current one), to bake/boil/long-term saltwater soak all ornaments, and to thoroughly bathe your crabs in salt water. Set your new tank up as far away from your old one as possible to avoid them being able to move between them on their own.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: I just saw little mites all over my hermit crabs and she

Post by aussieJJDude »

They could be food mites or like Emmac said, a similar species of insect. A photo could help. :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.