appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

How long do I quarantine??

Post by appps »

I actually thought a quick google and when that failed search on here would find the answer quite easily to this but Im having no luck at all. There are lots of things saying dont forget to quarantine but that we know the length of said quarantine seems to just be assumed? lol

So my plan is to give our newest crab some time in a deep enough for it to flush its shell salt water pool then pop into a quaratine tank with only sand substrate and nothing else mites can eat to make sure any mites that do somehow transfer over die of starvation.

My question is though how long can mites live without food and so how long will the quarantine need to be? I am sure I found this easily years ago when I started but I cannot for the life of me find it now argh! lol
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: How long do I quarantine??

Post by emmac350 »

Are you sure the new crab has mites? If it doesn't have any visible and you do several thorough salt water baths, you shouldn't have to quarantine more than a week or so unless your new crab is going to molt very soon.

The purpose of a quarantine is, first, to not get mites in your main tank. If you're sure there are no mites, then it is to acclimate the crabs to what life is like in your home - food availability, salt/fresh water, shells, humidity/temperature. If they have an impending molt (huge visible molt sac, very cloudy eyes) then you should let them molt first and then introduce to your main tank. Otherwise, you'd be fine introducing them once you've transitioned them to your tank's conditions.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: How long do I quarantine??

Post by appps »

Thanks! I dont really think it has mites but figured better to be safe than sorry having had to do a full tank clean out due to mites once before.

I was reading the life cycle of the mites is only 3 days so think the week to week and a half sounds about right as that would be two life cycles so any adults plus any eggs they have laid.

Unfortunatly he has decided to be difficult and went to ground overnight (dont they always when you need them up lol) so it will be a week plus however long it takes him to pop his head back up. Ive put a prawn head in there this morning, hopefully the smell entices him back up :-)
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com