appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Teeny tiny black bugs in the food dish?

Post by appps »

Took their fresh food dish out to change today and there were these tiny little black bugs in it. Really really tiny as in I had to look hard to see what the heck it was and then noticed they had heads.

They actually remind me of head lice but super small ones in shape etc. So hey lice maybe?

So Ive only seen them this once in the food dish, but will this mean they are going to be on the crabs and in their substrate as well?

Is there a way to confirm I have them through the coconut fiber etc or do I just get in and remove and start again as a precaution? ugh.

All my crabs are topside except one at the moment and that last one has been down for almost 4 months so Im guessing he isnt coming up again anyway :(

And also is there something particularly that will have attracted them to the tank? We have never had lice in the house before. (we do have a bird in the other end of the house, should I check it too?)
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Teeny tiny black bugs in the food dish?

Post by Wai »

Food is obviously a pest magnet, as is coconut fibre. I always had problems with pests when using coconut fibre alone or mixed with sand, so I now use sand only. You might have to throw the lot out and wash whatever you can preserve, because those bugs can be anywhere. The crabs will need to be bathed by hand too.
Wai
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

well bugger. thats a huge job.

Ive gone sand and fibre to make it look like land and other end beach. any ideas on a dark coloured alternative to the fibre so i can still keep the look?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I know what you mean, coconut fibre makes the substrate look so much more natural... but I don't think there really is anything besides coconut fibre to give that natural dirt colour.

On the other hand though, if you think about it, hermit crabs in the wild are constantly exposed to insects. If the little bugs are harmless then theoretically you aren't obligated to do anything. However, I'm not sure if they'll cause problems if the bugs start a nest in the tank and grow everywhere.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Very true that hermies live in the wild with pests. Main thing is, one needs to identify what pest they are seeing in their tank to know whether it is harmful to the hermies or not. Some are parasites to hermies, some are not. I have learned that between U.S. and Aus. the pests (as some wild life) do vary greatly. They need to ID'ed, or a deep clean in order. In the wild too, hermies can move away to other areas to get away from pests if they are a bother and nature has a way of balancing things.... much unlike our tanks.

Edited to add a couple links from here at HCP about little black bugs:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=3437&hilit=black+bugs

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=3437&p=28616&hilit ... ugs#p28616
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.