ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Grain Mites or Booklice?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Whether to order the mites, or do a clean and leave the molter alone while using the iso is basically your choice.
But if you do decide to clean, make sure to put a fine line of vaseline on the outside of the tank bottom too to prevent any from gaining access to the iso. Have you put a line of vaseline on your main tank yet? Are the going in from the outside?
The bath if you opt to bath the other 2 prior to iso'ing them, please make sure it is in ocean/sea water.
Good luck with your decision!!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai I found this through a Google search. (chances are you already looked?)

Hyoaspis miles predatory mites

Not quite where to order them, but a little info:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

This seems to be for UK, not sure if they would be permitted to send them due to customs? (links towards the bottom where they can be ordered…possibly some alternative predatory mites?)

http://www.petsnails.co.uk/documents/hy ... miles.html

About ¾ down
here it says:
Current permits are listed on the NSW Department of Primary Industries / Agriculture website (external link).
and is a clickable link.

Maybe contact
The University of Western Australia ?

Or Dennis Crawford) ... from Biological Services in South Australia?
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... -crops.pdf
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

They are very easy to treat. Just put them into a small container in the tank - they come in a wood chip substrate so you don't want that in the tank where the crabs can get at it since we don't know what kinds of wood they use, so it would even be feasible to put them in a small cup with sides high enough the crabs can't get in (I used small bowls). The mites can easily climb the walls of the container, so your only concern would be using one the crabs can't get into, which should be fairly easy for you!

The container that is sent to you is meant to treat a full greenhouse full of plants, so don't think you have to use the whole thing in your tank. Even a tablespoon or two of the substrate should have enough H. miles in it to treat your full tank. I went overboard though and put 1/4 to 1/2 cup in each tank. >.<
I read about someone who used the WHOLE container, and had tons of H. miles in their tank for months, so a happy medium is what you're looking for. Whatever you feel is enough for your tank.

I concur with Marie, put the vaseline line around the top of the inside of the tank, and that will also make your husband feel better (it did mine, I reassured him they could NOT get past the vaseline - and I made my line about 2 inches tall lol and plenty goopy).

Just put them in, and leave them. Nothing more to do, except removing the wood chip container after a week or so (I give it a week, just to be sure, I have no idea if they are all out or not).
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I found a site that has links to suppliers of good bugs.
Wai