Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 5
Total tanks: 1

Sort of like spiders web but clear & fuzzy

Post by bernice.76 »

Hi there

I seem to have a strange fuzz on the sand and cocofibre in my crabitat. The sand and cocofibre are actually sticking to it. It looks a bit like the webby material that you find in flour when weevils are present. I can't see anything crawling in the crabitat other than my hermies but I am worried that this "fuzz" may hurt my hermies. There is nothing that loks like "sacs" in my tank either. Could this be mould? If so, can it hurt my hermies? I thought it might also be their waste getting mixed up with sand and cocofibre but didn't know what their waste looked like.

We only got them at Xmas and I have grown really attached to them. Please help!!!

Bernie (and family)
Including Larry long legs and Herbie the hermit crab.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Re: Sort of like spiders web but clear & fuzzy

Post by Wai »

The white fuzz sounds like mould to me. Is there adequate air flow in and out of the tank? Is the humidity greater than 85%? Is there any old food buried in the sand?
Wai
bernice.76
Zygote
Zygote

Post by bernice.76 »

Thanks for the reply Wai.
No left over food in tank. I am unsure as to the humidity as I haven't got my hands on a hygrometer over the Xmas NY break but that is my next purchase. We have a glass tank with a glass lid. The lid has a hole in the middle and a diagonal corner opening but that is it.
I am going to clean the tank out completely tomorrow morning and give all the ornaments a good scrub.
The actual fuzz isn't white - I think the sand is making it look white. it resembles a spiders web in colour.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sounds like you may need more ventilation within your tank. An 'air in' and 'air out' type situation. (open a bit at both ends if possible)
If what you're seeing is actually like a web as opposed to mold fuzz, it might be you have a spider mite or two within the tank and yes they would need to be gotten rid of. Best way, deep clean and the sand can be baked to do this as opposed to changing out for new if it were mold.

Edited to add:
I wasn't sure if Aus. had them like U.S. and Canada does so I did a quick seach:
Australia spider mite picture
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
bernice.76
Zygote
Zygote

Post by bernice.76 »

Thanks Ladybug,
I decided to throw all the substrate out and start again. I scrubbed every inch of the tank and ornaments with a toothbrush then bathed it in boiling water, then put it in the sun for 4 hours. If there is anything still living in my crabitat (except for Larry & Herbie) then I will be surprised. I am going to make a mesh cover for the top of our crabitat but with a solid middle section so that air can get in and out a bit better.
I am definitely learning alot about our latest addition to the family. My son (and myself) would be absolutely devastated if something happened to our crabby friends.
Thanks for all your help.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sun is a good way to dry things and is also Mother Natures natural disinfectant. A little warning though, sometimes by putting things outside we can also bring in a couple pests too.
Happy to hear all is clean now and you're finding the help you need! :D
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.