Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Online Mites

Post by Purple pinchers »

ladybug15057 wrote:
I would give vern and any of the old crabs a bath in salt water just to be on the safe side.
Typically this would be great advice, but with the mites being sold out of LCH the ocean water bath hasn't been working. (not for the owner of LHC or the buyers). They are needing to buy the Hypoaspis Mites.

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=11
Interesting, never knew there was a mite that could survive that long in salt water, Kinda neat how hardy those little mites are but also kinda scary because of how hardy they are lol.
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Very true! Kerie had an awful time trying to rid her tank and hermies of these mites! Hence, how the "Hypoaspis Mites" came into play. Not many, but a couple of the mites can withstand a long time in water, and ocean/sea water does not effect them. (as her article stated)
Now saying this, there are also a couple mites that are beneficial to hermies because they help to keep inside their shells clean. But unless one pays to have the mite analyzed this cannot be known, but even then there maybe a 50-50 chance it still would not be known due to how many thousands of mites there actually are.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Post by arhoads »

Well, its been six days and I don't see any sign of mites so I'm gonna go ahead and put the newbies in the main tank.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Introducing them in neutral territory first to cut back on territorial issues? (after a quick dip in the same water?)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.