Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

Re: Zoo Med Hermit Crab Saltwater Conditioner

Post by Salt and Pepper »

CrabbyJo wrote:Salt and Pepper, it would be a good idea to research a bit to find out exactly what brand you need to pick up of what items BEFORE you head to the store. I'm sure your parents are not going to be happy that what you got is useless for the crabs. I suggest you DEFINITELY take it back to the store, even if the store people are not happy with you, and insist on getting your money back or at least exchange it for an actual ocean sea salt mix made for saltwater aquariums.

Also, get a water conditioner that will remove chorine, chloramines, and will neutralize heavy metals. I found mine at Walmart in a yellow bottle, called Aqua Safe.
My dad bought it when I wasn't there, he didn't know. I don't use tap water any how. I use this chlorine free spring water. I put the drops in there. It says on the box "Provides natrual yellow pigment to tell it apart from freshwater" something like that.
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Then there's no reason to put it in the spring water, unless there are chloramines added for some reason. You do need a heavy metal neutralizer though I think, because spring water can still have impurities?
You really really need to get the proper ocean water, though. If you were to test the salt content in the salt water made with that hermit crab salt, it wouldn't even show up, it seems to dissapate within a day. Don't go mixing it stronger, that wouldn't be good. It just needs to be replaced with something that works.
Darn those parents for trying to be helpful! lol.
Oh well, Dad was trying.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If one is going to buy water, they should lean towards buying the distilled bottle water. Spring water bottle #1 is going to be cleaner than bottle #200 due to how clean/dirty the filter is that is being used.
As for ZooMed part 2, it is a waste of money. There are a few ocean/sea mixes one can buy that are for salt water fish tanks and hermie safe:

Ocean_Mixes

Please also not towards the bottom of the link above the statements about the salts sold geared towards hermies... surely not worth it.
CrabbyJo, the ZooMed part 1 does not have the yellow dye to it, just Part 2 (the suppose to be salt mix)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: What should I put in my crab's cage?

Post by ladybug15057 »

The ZooMed post has been merged with one that was created earlier and replied to. (see subject)

And here is a link to another where advice was given:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2816&p=23085#p23085
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: What should I put in my crab's cage?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Thanks Marie, I obviously am unfamiliar with the hermit crab water treatment, other than the info that I've shared about it, really didn't know how it is supposed to work. :) Which it obviously doesn't. hehe.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.