Ameretat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 2

Air Plant

Post by Ameretat »

I was reading that air plants are safe for hermies. I am thinking of adding them for the new tank. Has anyone had experience with them? (?) 8| :D
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Re: Air Plant

Post by emmac350 »

What type of air plant? Air plant is a general term to describe a whole bunch of different plants that include everything from mistletoe to orchids and Spanish moss (which isn't safe).

Oh, and just a thing to keep in mind - your crabs will eat whatever you have in the tank, so even if the plant you want to put in is safe, do you want it to get torn to shreds?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ameretat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 85

Post by Ameretat »

I was thinking of a few different types. Like Anwyl Bromeliads, mitlaensis, tricolor tillandsia, and Brachycaulos.

I saw it on eBay and read that these plants are not harmful to animals.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It would highly depend on the air plant as Emma has mentioned. But they do absorb formaldehyde, xylene, benzene, and carbon monoxide from the air in homes or offices.

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... %29+plants
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.