Amaranthe
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

GoldVine driftwood and Exo Terra stuff

Post by Amaranthe »

Anyone heard of this stuff and if its safe for crabbies?

Only info I can find is here.. http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.as ... id=9284235

We have a local suuplier that has masses of it.

Also in the reptile stores they stock Exo Terra jungle vines. are they saafe for Crabs....for that matter is any of the Exo Terra stuff not safe? Our reptile shop has loads of stuff including the plantation soil and forest moss.

Oh and I finally found a petshop that stocks great crab stuff! But they are still saying no deep substrate and we dont need heaters....think I will just do what you guys recommend and have happiest crabs around :)

Thanks guys :)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: GoldVine driftwood and Exo Terra stuff

Post by emmac350 »

The wood - I've found reason to say that the live plant is poisonous to humans if ingested, but nothing about the wood having insecticidal qualities or anything like that. Anybody else find any info on it?

As for the Exo Terra Vine, I know more than a few people who use them, but as for the plantation soil - if it's anything other than 100% coconut fiber, don't use it.

As for that store, they don't know how to keep crabs alive long-term, so for the most part take what they say with a grain of salt. Maybe ask them how long they've gotten a crab to live before - what's the longest? Then tell them that with deep substrate, proper heating, proper diet, and exercise people have gotten hermit crabs to live 33 years and counting. See what they say then!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Amaranthe,
I would say also that the wood is probably safe, since it's safe in aquariums and as Emma said, has no insecticidal qualities.

As for Exo Terra stuff, most of it is completely safe, but do stay away from Spanish moss, as it is not a true moss, but is made from conifers which are an irritant to the hermit crabs.

And good call on not believing what the pet store tells you. Best to just research around here, ask if you need to, and get your info that way. :)

They need a heater if the temp is not in the right range, heck I need a heater even in summer because the temp in my house still drops to 69F at night! Not good for hermies.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Amaranthe
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Post by Amaranthe »

Thanks guys :)

$450 later and we are ready to get this set up!

The plantation soil says its 100% coconut husk :) I am thinking I am a little insane spending that amount of money on crabs but hey...people spend it on fish! :D