Adding substrate to buried hermit crabs?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
JGrizzle
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Adding substrate to buried hermit crabs?

Post by JGrizzle »

I recently picked up 3 more hermit crabs after having my original 2 for a couple months. Originally the substrate was at about 3 inches, which was the perfect size for my 2 little hermit crabs. After getting my 3 new Hermie’s I decided that I wanted to add a couple more inches of digging space for everyone. The only issue was that 3 out of my 5 hermies were buried. I did some online research but most of the web forums said to add a couple inches every 24 hours, or that it would be fine for the hermie’s under the substrate. I’ve already added about 2 inches of light cocounut fiber to the top of the substrate and was wondering if my hermies would be okay?? I mean I added everything back to the tank so that it’s exactly the same, and all they would have to do is dig up. Just want to be reassured that I didn’t suffocate them!
JGrizzle
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 10

Adding substrate to buried hermit crabs

Post by JGrizzle »

I got my first 2 hermit crabs a few months ago and filled my 10 gallon tank with about 2-3 inches of coco fiber. Then recently I picked up my 3 new hermit crabs and decided they needed more digging room. The only issue was that 3 of my crabs have been buried for a while and I wasn’t sure if I should add the substrate on top. I searched a bit online that said it would be fine, but I just want some reassurance. I added about 2 more inches of light coco fiber on top and placed everything in the tank the exact same way it was originally. Do you guys think that they should be fine?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Adding substrate to buried hermit crabs?

Post by Wai »

As long as the substrate you're adding is loose, they will be fine.
Wai