gsummers5262
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

two substrates.

Post by gsummers5262 »

Hi! i'm new here and to hermit crabs and i had a question about substrate; if i have sand and coconut fiber substrates would it be okay to put one substrate on one side of my terrarium and the other on the opposite side so they are separate and if the crabs mix it up, so be it? Also, is a 10 gallon tank large enough for 10 small crabs
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: two substrates.

Post by Wai »

Yes, that will be fine.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

IMO, crabs grow, and for smaller ones they grow very quickly! I would suggest purchasing a max of three so you don't end up having to upgrade the 10 to a larger tank in a couple of months.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

For 10 small hermies you may also wish to consider a second level. They will grow, and require more room for all they should be supplied with in their crabitat to thrive.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.