mak0124
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Good Substrate?

Post by mak0124 »

Hi. Im gonna change my sand in about 3weeks. my crab HATES thi. He NEVER digs down. in fact, hes only done it ONCE. I use all play sand (5inches) So my question is, what can i mix with my play sand to make it great for him and encourage him to dig down. Im afraid he will hate it so much, he wont molt.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Good Substrate?

Post by aussieJJDude »

It could be he doesn't want to dig down... :) It could be he just happily chilling.
However, if you're looking for an alternative, I would suggest eco-earth or coconut fibre (not coconut bark!). he might like that a bit more, even mixing it with sand. A 5 (sand): 1 (EE) ratio could work well, and most PP's enjoy it... or even offering one side sand other side EE.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Considering you are from the U.S. I would strongly suggest getting rid of the play sand and get a sand for fish aquariums if you want to use sand. (I buy the CaribSea from PetSmart) Our play sand is different and dirtier than that of Australia's.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 17

Post by charcoal44 »

I just received 30 lbs of CaribSea Aragamax Coral Sand, now I'm aware this is for Aquariums, and it says to rinse it. And i know I need to wet it for my crabs, but does it need rinsing?
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125

Post by StellaCrab »

charcoal44 wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 11:31 I just received 30 lbs of CaribSea Aragamax Coral Sand, now I'm aware this is for Aquariums, and it says to rinse it. And i know I need to wet it for my crabs, but does it need rinsing?
I just wouldn't use that stuff due to it being for an aquarium, and it may contain water with live organisms inside of it which helps your aquarium. It's also very expensive, and aragonite may cause a bacterial bloom due to it not being aerated properly.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

StellaCrab wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 00:19
charcoal44 wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 11:31 I just received 30 lbs of CaribSea Aragamax Coral Sand, now I'm aware this is for Aquariums, and it says to rinse it. And i know I need to wet it for my crabs, but does it need rinsing?
I just wouldn't use that stuff due to it being for an aquarium, and it may contain water with live organisms inside of it which helps your aquarium. It's also very expensive, and aragonite may cause a bacterial bloom due to it not being aerated properly.
But this stuff is on the list of recommended substrates in the supplies list.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StellaCrab »

It's probably just fine, but I have never seen it recommended where I was previously helping out, and I was only taught to use eco earth or playsand.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

CaribSea comes in live (wet) or dry (dry ;) ) version. Other hermit crab groups may suggest against it, but I do think that it can be used, even if its a rather expensive option and therefore, not for everyone.

The only issue with it is due to it being calcium carbonate, which is the 'same compound' - excluding dyes and whatnot - that calci sand is made from, which has the potential to bind together and create sheets of hard sand layers, and lead to problems. With careful use, I do think it is fine though, just something to keep in mind of if you do use it IMO.

edit: its very much of personal preference, many US crabbers have had great success and advocate using playsand! Substrate IMO is not a one size fits all, and there's many different options and mixes that work well in creating a good environment to dig and moult in.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

They seem happy in the new tank and I have a great depth of sand for them to dig in and bury themselves.
Also, the largest of the new ones (bought 3) has a great appetite, and changed shells within a couple of hours of being brought home.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StellaCrab »

charcoal44 wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 09:12 They seem happy in the new tank and I have a great depth of sand for them to dig in and bury themselves.
Also, the largest of the new ones (bought 3) has a great appetite, and changed shells within a couple of hours of being brought home.
That's great news!