Can Hermit Crabs be released into Gulf of Mexico at a pier?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
Crabie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10

Can Hermit Crabs be released into Gulf of Mexico at a pier?

Post by Crabie »

I am new and was not sure where to post my questions.

Background: I inherited 4 hermit crabs in a 10 gallon tank 8 weeks ago. The prior owner was babysitting them over the summer for a teacher who did not want them back. I went to pick them up with another teacher who was going to take them. When we got to her classroom we discovered the tank was full of gnats, so I took the crabs home to my very rural ranch to clean the tank up, and then return them to the teacher. Once I had the tank cleaned up, and had had the crabs for a couple of weeks, the teacher and I decided they were not appropriate pets for her classroom, and that I would keep them until I was able to re-home them. I have contacted two rural school districts near me, and no one wants them. I have tried craigslist but do not really trust re-homing them through cragislist, and had only one responder who did not follow up. And, I really do no trust the big chain pet stores.

I love animals and want to do the right thing by these creatures, and would like to know if they can be released near shore in the Gulf of Mexico, near a wooden or boulder/cement pier?

I have learned a lot after finding this website last night. It appears I did everything wrong when cleaning out the tank and setting it up again. I rinsed everything out, including the crabs, with our well water. I replaced the bedding with some sort of white sand I found in the fish area of Petsmart. Two of the crabs seem to love the sand and like to bury themselves in it, but I cannot tell you what kind of sand I bought. The deepest sand is over the heater, and I read that they is bad, and that is where one particular crab likes to bury itself!

The crabs came with all sorts of "crab food". A couple of weeks ago I started putting tiny bits of our people left overs in the food bowl which they seem to like. After reading this site last night I put half an egg shell in their tank and two halves of pecans. Someone ate half the egg shell and one of the pecan halves is gone.

They did not come with sea salt. Since I live in the middle of nowhere I have been mixing a teaspoon of real sea salt into 1 cup of our well water and giving it to them, and they do seem to like it.

Last night I found one laying with the shell opening facing up in their well water bowl and did not know what to make up that, but the water bowl was low. I filled it up, and the crab eventually turned over and left.

If I cannot release them into the Gulf, I will keep them and correct their habitat.

I live in Texas about 50 miles from the Gulf. If ya'll know of anyone who would like to adopt them who are fairly close to me, we can try to work out meeting arrangements.

Thanks for all advice that will come, and thanks for listening.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Can Hermit Crabs be released into Gulf of Mexico at a pi

Post by Wai »

You can put up an adoption notice on the Hermit Crab Adoption Center, but in the mean time, try to provide the minimal basics and a comfortable environment for them to stay in until someone can take over. Have a read through our Crab Care section (which I'm sure you have) as a guide and let us know if you have any questions.
Wai
Crabie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10

Re: Can Hermit Crabs be released into Gulf of Mexico at a pi

Post by Crabie »

Thank you for the response Wai.

I did read through the Crab Care Section and need to add more sand and rearrange where I have placed their hollow log and wooden log that has the fake plants on it. They do however seem pretty comfortable and happy with the current arrangement even though it is wrong. It is unfortunate that they did not come with care instructions.

They did come with 3 shells to move into, but one is totally unsuitable. It is a large shell, but the opening is strangely narrow and much much too small. It just so happens that I have my own shell collection of which some are suitable.

I will put an adoption notice in the Hermit Crab Adoption Center. Thank you for that advice.

They are a bit different as far as pets go, but are in a way similar to my Vietnamese Stick Bugs which are in their habitat next to the crab habitat. And, they are a lot different than all the stray dogs and cats I have taken in as pets over my 45 years as an adult. :)

I must say that for someone like me who is allergic to crustaceans, I am doing pretty good.