CAS_678
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 11
Total tanks: 1

Sand as substrate

Post by CAS_678 »

Ok, I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I have read the care forums and I'm still confused.
Here's what I think happens...
Buy sand
Wash sand
Dry sand in oven (why?)

Then what? Re-wet the sand? How wet? Salt water or plain water? How wet do I keep it? How do I keep the enclosure warm when the sand is wet?

Thanks, from a newbie!
New carer of 3 Australian Land Hermit Crabs & on a very steep learning curve!
First moult: May 2013!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Sand as substrate

Post by Wai »

Drying the sand helps kill most germs in the sand. Wetting the sand is optional. I like to keep mine so that it is just wet enough to build a sand castle with, whereas Marie (ladybug15057) uses dry sand. Wet sand shouldn't affect the area temperature to a great deal. The bedding will too warm up over time.
Wai
CAS_678
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 11

Post by CAS_678 »

Thanks Wai,
I'd like to sprinkle some coconut fibre stuff on top of the sand too, do the Hermies mix it up themselves usually?
New carer of 3 Australian Land Hermit Crabs & on a very steep learning curve!
First moult: May 2013!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

They will mix it up themselves slowly. Why not just mix it all in yourself? Just beware though, coconut fibre may attract mites (happened to me twice).
Wai
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Thats interesting to read Wai, Ive had mites twice too but I put it down to the seeds Id been giving them, didnt make the connection with the coconut fibre.

For the OP, I also like it sandcastle damp so they can dig their holes and they dont keep collapsing in on them.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Long time no see, Annette!

I haven't used coco fibre since the last mite breakout, I think that's already several years ago now. I'm still using sand only.
Wai
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Using salt water to moisten your substrate (regardless of the type) should get rid of pesky bugs and mold in your tank (it should affect the larval stage of the mites). Having plenty of salt water will also allow your crabs to try to clean the mites off of themselvesIt will prevent stuff from growing in your tank, though, so that might be important to keep in mind.

Make sure they are mites too - fruit flies can sometimes seem like mites but aren't. They're SUPER easy to catch - pour about 1/4 inch of apple cider vinegar or any other fruity vinegar into a bowl or glass, and add a drop or two of soap. The flies will be attracted to the vinegar, thinking it's rotten fruit, and land on the surface of the vinegar. The soap breaks the surface tension of the vinegar so they immediately sink in and drown. Super easy, and it uses a few cents' worth of ACV plus two drops of soap.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

pour about 1/4 inch of apple cider vinegar or any other fruity vinegar into a bowl or glass, and add a drop or two of soap. The flies will be attracted to the vinegar, thinking it's rotten fruit, and land on the surface of the vinegar.
Just in case one is reading the fruit fly instructions, please put this on the outside of ones tank. (a few years ago, somebody from another site put this within their tank)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.