Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

NEWBIE NEEDIN HELP!!!!

Post by hawtiebazil »

HELP
I am going shopping tomorrow for gear for my hermit crabs. But they will the first ever hermit crabs i have got. So i have read the crab care but i am still a bit not certain on what to get. So i know what type of food and water containers to get, but is it ok to get a bit of chicken coop wire and but it up a against a wall for them to climb on?? Can i build a lego toy for them to climb on it is that ok?? Also because i only have carpet floor is it ok to let my hermit crabs walk on concrete or grass??? When i get my hermit crabs i will put up pictures of the tank and everything to see if it is ok???

thanks
hey everyone i can't wait until my 2 new family member come my first little hermit crabs i am going to name them salt and pepper i wonder if they will like my fighting fish???????????
hawtiebazil
Zygote
Zygote

I am clueless!!!!

Post by hawtiebazil »

Hi everyone
i am buying hermit crabs tomorrow and i have read through the hermit crab care they will be the first ones i have ever gotten. So how do u tell if your hermie needs exercise. Though and one other thing is it ok to let the walk around on concrete and on grass ince nearly all of my house has only carpet???

please help me figure this out because i want them to be happy when i bring them home tomorrow.
hey everyone i can't wait until my 2 new family member come my first little hermit crabs i am going to name them salt and pepper i wonder if they will like my fighting fish???????????
catiefsm
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Re: NEWBIE NEEDIN HELP!!!!

Post by catiefsm »

Chicken coop wire isn't great, because of the metal. There are actual hermit crab coco mats you can get without too much trouble. Legos are fine as long as they're clean, and no, concrete and glass are not ok, as they can't bury in it. Get them some eco earth. Look around in these forums more, and there is a lot of information available all over the internet for you, better to research well before you buy, although I do understand the eagerness!
hawtiebazil
Zygote
Zygote

Post by hawtiebazil »

thanks for the help
hawtiebazil
Zygote
Zygote

Post by hawtiebazil »

well then another thing i am having trouble finding a place down town that i can buy substrate such as i cant find sand or coconut fibre so does anyone have any idea what i could get????
hawtiebazil
Zygote
Zygote

Please help me in deciding

Post by hawtiebazil »

PLEASE HELP
I have been getting all the gear i need for the hermit crabs i am getting tomorrow this will be the first time i get them ad i am having lots of trouble finding a substrate. Soi can't find and sand or coconut fibre so please help me what other substrates could i use?????????????
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Re: Please help me in deciding

Post by Wai »

Which state are you from? Most pet stores don't sell sand, so look in gardening places for sand.
Wai
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Re: I am clueless!!!!

Post by Wai »

Don't take them out for exercise right away. You should leave your hermit crabs alone in the tank for at least one week for them to settle down first. All hermit crabs need exercise, but I don't recommend that you take your hermit crabs outside.
Wai
hawtiebazil
Zygote
Zygote

Re: Please help me in deciding

Post by hawtiebazil »

I am from new south wales
i only have pet stock as the pet store in my town and i have bunnings i checked there and i couldn't find them but when my nursery is open tomorrow i will check there
hawtiebazil
Zygote
Zygote

Re: I am clueless!!!!

Post by hawtiebazil »

thanks so much you r very help ful