CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: kay-Kob bedding and litter

Post by CrabbyJo »

Absolutely not! It is made for rodents, is it not?
You don't want ANY kind of litter used as bedding for your crabs, as it is treated to reduce ammonia and absorb high amounts of moisture. It would pull the moisture right out of your crabs.

I did not find Kay-Bob listed directly for sale anywhere, but did find that it is made by Care Fresh, and those products are for rodents, mammals, not crabs that will be burrowing in it: http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/cabein3sions.html

Do not EVER use a litter as substrate for your crabs.
100% coconut fiber is best if you choose to have a natural looking substrate other than sand.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
PCP
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 1
Total tanks: 1

Post by PCP »

It's made by Kaytee. It's not made just for Rodents. Many small animals use it, including birds.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Sorry hon, you're missing the point.
The point is it is used for animals that urinate in it. Mammals. and birds. It is meant to absorb animal waste.

This litter, as I said, would wick the moisture from their bodies as well as from the air, suffocating them to death, as they need a high amount of humidity to breathe through their modified gills.
they need a substrate that they can safely dig and bury in, a substrate that can be moistened so they can dig little caves to hide and molt in. The crabs will often moisten the substrate themselves.

In your hello thread I did give some good links to help you get started, it will help you understand more about hermit crabs and their needs and you'll soon realize why I said NO WAY to this litter. :) Or any other litter! :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

In simple words, the Carefresh stuff is used for animals that don't mind living in a dry environment, such as birds and rodents. They urinate and poop all the time, so the bedding absorbs that, making their home dry and odour-free.

However, land hermit crabs need a humid environment. The Carefresh stuff absorbs moisture, so a humid environment is not possible; hence it is not suitable for hermit crabs.
Wai
PCP
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 1

Post by PCP »

Thanks CrabbyJo. The moisture absorbtion makes sense. I should have figured that one out for myself. *|
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai, sounds like a good one to add to the "Do not use" list in the crab care section?

Great researching CrabbyJo!!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

The Carefresh stuff is available for sale in pet stores here too. Unfortunately, my local Pets Paradise store keeps their hermit crabs in that gunk. :(

The Carefresh stuff is now blacklisted in the Crab Care section.
Wai
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Swtmellie I've been using Kritters Krumble for about 3 years with no problems.

It's coconut fibre for small animals and reptiles and I use the fine grade. Available at most pet stores I think.

The website is http://www.kritterscrumble.com.au but it seems to be having technical problems at the moment.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Appps, out of curiosity, I had a look at Kritter Krumble while shopping for cheaper options for my 40g, but I thought that it was too chunky for my liking. Is there a finer variety, do you mix it in with tons of sand... ??? I would search this, but as you said their sit is down at the moment.