Niko
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 35
Total gallons: 150
Total tanks: 4

Re: Do NOT use "Hermit Crab Sand"

Post by Niko »

emmac350 wrote:The crabs can scrape pieces off of the shell to get the minerals in them just like they do in the wild.
It can work with some kinds of shells but i don't think i will work with most of the shells, they are too hard to be scraped in small pieces by LHC. In the wild, i think they firstly prefer calcium food like fish bones, cuttlebone, it's easier to scrap.
Niko.

To crab or not to crab.....crab!

My Board dedicated to LHC (in french) : http://coenobita.xooit.com/index.php
hermit crabs rock 10
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by hermit crabs rock 10 »

i have a question, i have hermit crab sand but my hermie tinkerbell moulted and changed shells and shes still fine. and i tried to tell my mom and she said their find so plz tell me!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

hermit crabs rock 10, please do read all the pages within this thread. Please also visit the crab care section that has recently been updated.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

hermit crabs rock 10 wrote:i have a question, i have hermit crab sand but my hermie tinkerbell moulted and changed shells and shes still fine. and i tried to tell my mom and she said their find so plz tell me!
I'm glad to hear that Tinkerbell survived, but there were reported cases of hermit crabs dying due to being trapped in their shells by the hardened sand.
Wai
narutovsavatar
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by narutovsavatar »

i didnt know that it can hurt the crabs. but can i use regular sand as a bedding or gravel?
narutovsavatar
Zygote
Zygote

Post by narutovsavatar »

i didnt know the calci-sand could harm the crabs but what else could i use for bedding? Is gravel or store-bought sand ok for them?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Have you read the Crab Care section under "Bedding"?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
narutovsavatar
Zygote
Zygote

Post by narutovsavatar »

sorry didnt think of that
DivasHermits
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Calcium Sand Question:

Post by DivasHermits »

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... sand-20lb/

Is Calcium Sand good for hermit crabs? I really need some help deciding on a Bedding to use. In a month or so I will be getting a bunch of Hermit Crabs and I am curious in what Bedding to buy!

I thought about using Coco Fiber but after hearing about the invasion in pests I don't think I want to take a chance.

I posted a link to a bag of Calcium Sand I was wondering if you could look at it and read the description and maybe tell me more about it. Thanks!

xo
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

CaribSea is an aragonite sand, which is the best there is. However, the link you provided does state it is for reptiles. (reptiles can become impacted if they eat a substrate of larger grain) The link you provided does not say what 'grain' size the sand is, and most sands for reptiles is almost a powder in consistency. One would want either the sugar or select grain CaribSea aragonite sand.

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/ ... onite.html

There is a high chance the powder type substrates can clog the hermies sensitive gills.

Please do see the Crab Care section for bedding ideas, and the topic "bedding' in the forums.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)