pkoo
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Hemp - What should it smell like?

Post by pkoo »

I've recently bought some hemp to make a climbing net for my (son's) crabs. I was told that you can tell if it's been treated with chemicals if it has a strong chemically smell. Mine smells a bit like hessian. Does anyone know whether that is the normal smell? I did ask the people I bought it off and they said that as far as they knew it had not been treated with chemicals. The hemp is from Nepal. Any thoughts? Otherwise does anyone know where to buy hemp in Australia?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hemp - What should it smell like?

Post by Wai »

I bought my hemp net online, which was hand made by Hermiefun. I don't know what 'safe' hemp smells like, but it shouldn't be strong or sharp smelling.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Can you tell if there is a 'waxy' film' to it? Some have related the odor to a burlap sac.
Hemp is 100% organic in its natural state and majority of hemp doesn't have the wax coating either. If it does have a waxy feel, one can boil it to remove the waxy coating.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by pkoo »

Thanks. However I don't know what burlap sap smells like. It doesn't feel waxy, but I will boil it in salty water just in case.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Just curious, wouldn't boiling the hemp affect the integrity of the fibres?
Wai
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by pkoo »

Hi I just had a quick search on the internet and provided that the hemp is "without special finishes" it can be boiled without any problem. Information from HempTraders.com http://www.hemptraders.com/properties_o ... shcare.php
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It shouldn't, but depending on what was used to color the hemp it could cause it to bleed unless a mordant was used. (which are NOT recommended for use with hermies) Some colors cannot be obtained without the use of a mordant, but some veggies and fruits do stain quite nicely.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Hermiefun
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 60
Total gallons: 130
Total tanks: 3

Post by Hermiefun »

If its natural hemp then yes it has a hessian/ burlap smell i soak all my natural nets in water over night, you will notice the water turn like a tea color, that is the tannin's coming out of the hemp. The tannin's are safe for the hermies its just more of a visual thing when people want to drape there nets in the water dishes. Then the water doesnt turn a tea color lol
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by pkoo »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've now set up my (son's) tank with some lovely climbing nets. Some are from Hermiefun (Can I just say they have unbelievably good service to give customers what they want and at a great price even us here Down Under) and square one is from a local Aussie supplier. The crabs love the extra climbing/exercise area. My (son's) most adventurous one, Stripey Ninja, went right across the top of the yellow net then climbed up the fake plant and onto the tank lid!! I've put a photo of my (son's) redesigned tank in my gallery on this site. gallery/image.php?album_id=160&image_id=665
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Nice looking tank (and crab!!!!)
By the way, what is that mat thing on the side of the tank? It looks like noodles! NOM NOM :-D
How deep is your substrate, it looks a bit shallow...
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.