pkoo
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Re: Hemp - What should it smell like?

Post by pkoo »

Thanks. The mat like thing is a hemp "washer". I bought it from Ecoyarn. I think they're in Queensland (AUS). :-)
The substrate is about 4 to 6 cm deep on the deep side. The crabs have been digging it up lately so one part all fluffed up is about 8cm deep.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

I thin you may want to consider to add more substrate. I have mine that is 6 inches deep (15 cm) and I find it too shallow. I might be adding it up to 20cm, because my hermit crabs prefer to hid in the sub in the day time, and I have plenty of hiding places. And at night all you can hear is them scratching the glass... Don't you love aussies?
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
pkoo
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pkoo »

Thanks for the suggestion about the substrate. I was going by the general rule that it should be at least double the depth of my biggest crab. I will see about adding some more. Aussie crabs are interesting. I've never had any other type but do they spend more time buried and digging than others? It would be nice to see more of them. I often hear them at night as you say scratching the glass. I even hear them some times during the day, but when I look mostly I don't see anything. They must be doing all there stuff underground.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

LOL, mine spend all there time on top of the ground!
If they are new maybe they are destressing?
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

November 10th, 2012, 12:27 am
I might be adding it up to 20cm, because my hermit crabs prefer to hid in the sub in the day time

And at night all you can hear is them scratching the glass…
November 17th, 2012, 4:30 pm
LOL, mine spend all there time on top of the ground!
(?) :S
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.