ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Suction cups

Post by ZuZu »

So I have had this net that I hang up for my crabs as a second storey and they love it, my only problem is that one of my crabbies, Rose, decided it's the best fun to pull off the suction cups off the wall of the tanks ^) I have actually seen her do it and was kind of amazed at the strength she must have needed :D does anyone elses crabbies do this? ;) Btw I HAVE solved this problem I changed the postion of the net and she still goes up there like the rest of the crabs but doesn't pick off the suction cups anymore.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Re: Suction cups

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

My crabbies like to do that and then they move the net to how they want and climb on it ^_^ I just stopped fixing it and figured they wanted it like that lol.
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by ZuZu »

they DO seem to have netting postion perferences. -.- even though it look messy and not very logical. got rid of that old zoo med net and got a new one that is a supposedly "used" fishing net. it is very large and nice, but it has nothing to attach it to other surfaces with. some of the net I just clamped under the lid of the tank, works great, and make no diff. to the lid letting out humidity... or crabs for that matter. I reused the suction cups in some places by hanging the holes of the net on them, and it works splendidly. they didn't like one spot the net was pinned up, but this time when they adjusted it to their likeing I left it alone -.- , heh. it is right in front of the entrance to their tree house , so i guess they want a direct connection to climbing material.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Very interesting observations! It had never occurred to me that the crabs were adjusting the net to "how they like it", but that makes sense. ;) I have sort of thought the same about when they bury shells in one spot, or small stones. It really is funny to clean the tank and find things buried in odd spots, like they purposely dug the item down with them. Perhaps part of their tunnel building, I'm thinking. Such interesting little creatures!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

I've noticed the shells disapearing aswell and the glass stones i put around my pools dissapear one by one lol ^_^
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

Well, my hermit crabs used to have a hemp net in the tank, but one of them decided it was time to escape (Crabzilla, I'm talking about you.) I took it down after I had discovered Crabzilla's "little adventure". It's too bad, they must've had fun on it. But nope. I guess Crabzilla had to ruin everyone else's fun.
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If it were me I would put it back. If they want to escape and have climbing in their minds they can and will scale the silicone on the corners of the inside tank wall corners. I have watched my Jumbo's and straws, and other sized hermies do this and crawl the under side of the screen lid we have under all the plexiglas lids.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I agree with Marie, I would take a trip to the pet store and get a wire mesh lid to place over the top. They can push out if you don't weigh the corners down, though. :) That way your crabs have a way to get the exercise they need and satisfy their natural instinct to climb.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.