llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Is Velcro safe?

Post by llmercll »

I never have luck with suction cups, they always fall down. So was thinking about using velcro to keep my plants and nets up.

This is safe for crabs right? I hope so considering my thermometer and hydrogemeter have been connected this way for some time.

thanks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Is Velcro safe?

Post by Wai »

I'm not sure about velcro, but you can use snap-hook suction cups, which are very strong. I use those and my hermit crabs aren't able to tear them down.
Wai
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

I would imagine the only thing possibly harmful to them could be the adhesive backing?
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Very safe. I use it to hold up my thermometer/hygrometer too, and an planning to use it to support my turtle dock as well, since the suction cups are worn and useless. :)

the 3m velcro is what I use, and for small items I'll cut the strip in half to make it go further.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I've been using the velcro for years. Walmart sells an industrial strength that can withstand the abuse of my Jumbo's and straws even. :D They sell it in a box too in a long about 5 foot strip for a couple dollars. It's about 1-1 1/2 inch wide and holds great as long as the glass is clean where it is being stuck at. One can even use those little cable ties and use velcro to hold them up too with items on them.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Awesome! I can't wait to get started on my second story. Got some nets, some hiawatha moss, new plants, and a little container I'm going to make into a balcony. My crabs are going to be so happy =)

I've already got the velcro btw. I have some industrial strength as well and use it all the time. Got a huge roll on ebay a few years back for very cheap. <3 velcro =p
rhemaangel
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by rhemaangel »

Wai wrote:I'm not sure about velcro, but you can use snap-hook suction cups, which are very strong. I use those and my hermit crabs aren't able to tear them down.
Wai -- where did you get your snap-hook suction cups? I was looking at an InterDesign corner basket the other day at Big W and nearly had a heart attack at the $22 price tag! 8| WAY more than this disabled pensioner can afford.
Sally M
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I bought mine online from be.so.cute on eBay. The pack of 20 is the cheapest.
Wai
rhemaangel
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 35

Post by rhemaangel »

Thanks, Wai. They're just what I was looking for. I've ordered a set of 20, so hopefully, they'll be here by the end of the week. :D And I would have NEVER thought to look in the caravan/motor home supplies section. Going to Bunnings later this week, so I'll have a look to see what they have as well & let you know.
Sally M
Rec0nCrab1991
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 25

What should I put on my second story?

Post by Rec0nCrab1991 »

I'm making my second story out of a red white and blue hemp net going all the way across my 20 gallon tank but I have no idea what I could put on the second story! Any suggestions would be well appreciated!