tabbyjanewarren
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Hot glue use on 2nd story hideaway

Post by tabbyjanewarren »

Is hot glue safe to use in tat. I used the coconut stuff they crawl on to build a corner hideaway with a second level to put shells and built a stairway, using sticks from an oak as support. I put all this together with hot glue. The corner support is a long hot glue stick that I covered with a thin layer of the coconut stuff.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Hot glue use on 2nd story hideaway

Post by emmac350 »

I wouldn't use hot glue personally - I haven't been able to find any listing of what is actually in the glue. You can safely use aquarium sealant (the same stuff in the corners of your tank), but that's all I can tell you for sure.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
tabbyjanewarren
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by tabbyjanewarren »

I did some research on hot glue and it is basically a polymer of different sorts or a melted plastic. Thanks for reading and appreciate any replies. Tabitha
Still wondering if this is good or bad.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Emma and it takes a good while for the odor to dissipate as well.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
spidtat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 40
Total gallons: 110
Total tanks: 2

Post by spidtat »

I would be afraid that they would start eating it and there are probably a lot of things in there that just aren't good for crabs. I know melting or burning plastics is extremely dangerous to inhale for a lot of different animals, including humans, so I can only imagine the effects on a crab if ingested. Just my two cents worth though
Keep On Crabbin'<--- My New Store Check It Out!!! Now carrying Happy hermit Kibble and Crabotanicals!!!
Now on Facebook as well, check out Keep On Crabbin'

1 Rug, 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner