emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: how do i build a 2nd storey?

Post by emmac350 »

It just depends on what you want to use - I've heard of lego second stories, shower caddies, soap dishes, etc. all being used as second layers. You can use hemp nets that you hang as well. I think those are all of the most common second levels I've heard of.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
crabcrazygal
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 30

Post by crabcrazygal »

it depends on weather you want a just like a small area they can climb up to, or a coplete second level. i suggest a soap caddy if you want the first one, and there are any ways you can build the second idea, like glueing on a piece of perspects half way up the tank, and cutting some holes, in which you can stick a ladder to it. one problem with this concept though, is the small chance of the crabs eating the glue, if there is any in which they could get to.
another way is to get a big hemp net and atatch it at either end of the tank.
crabs:bino, junior,kim, and vixen
dogs: ella, shannon
cats:milo, poppy
and two budgies: romeo and big bird
Rip: HOMER(who was actually a girl so i re named him marge)RIP kath hyper and hazel.
only boring people get bored :)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

The problem with the glue idea (other than using glue - you could use aquarium sealant instead) is that it is permanent and would be an utter pain in the rear end when you go to do a deep clean. It also makes just the day-to-day cleaning hard too. If you have something as your 2nd level that you can move/remove, it makes tank-cleaning ten times easier (especially if you have a large tank).

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
crabcrazygal
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 30

Post by crabcrazygal »

ah, good point. you could use some type of stilts though, but then there is the problem of what exactily to use for the silts, and how to keep them upright.
crabs:bino, junior,kim, and vixen
dogs: ella, shannon
cats:milo, poppy
and two budgies: romeo and big bird
Rip: HOMER(who was actually a girl so i re named him marge)RIP kath hyper and hazel.
only boring people get bored :)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I'll post my pictures from my new tank tomorrow (about to head to bed, early morning tomorrow) so you can see how I've done my layers. Basically, I'm suspending two pencil holder containers (from elementary school) with hemp and they're secured around a hook attached to the outside of the tank. I also have a suction cup shower caddy on the other side.

Mommy to:

greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by greenshellhermit »

ok thanks people
rip green shell hermit :(
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

What can I use to make a 2nd storey?

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

Well i was wondering what I would require for a second storey in my 15 gallon aquairium. Please give a lot of ideas! :D
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: What can I use to make a 2nd storey?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Hermielover3542,
did you try browsing through the threads in this section of the forum where you posted this? There are tons of ideas, hence the reason why this section is here :)

Look through the threads, and if you have any questions about any of the techniques others used, fire away, we are always happy to add new info!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
crabrocks2
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 4
Total tanks: 3

uuum i need suggestions on briges 2 storys

Post by crabrocks2 »

i need to add a second leval 2 my new crabitat . i want somthing sturdy, stong, and kinda soft on my hermit crabs legs any ideas?
proud owner of my cool hermies shelder and homer