Oak = safe, but srews/nails?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
raginggnome
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Oak = safe, but srews/nails?

Post by raginggnome »

I want to make second level more durable than my lego one... seems that what I have to work with as far as legos go has diminished a bit since I was small... I have some pieces of oak that would work perfectly for me to craft into a very high quality second level, but I know that crabs are very sensitive to metal.

Would ordinary screws or nails be okay to use to build a second level?

Thanks
~Dr. Zoidberg~Mr. Krabs~Cloyster~Slurm~Barbados Slim~Citizen Snips
~Sonic and Rizzo, the Ecuadorian Brothers, will always be missed. So went Scuttle into the great Crabitat in the sky.
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Oak = safe, but srews/nails?

Post by Chermo »

Don't by any means take what I am saying as it is ok because I am making a suggestion that I am not sure is safe or not too....

I want to say that they make a rust proof screw for decks so your deck screws don't rust and maybe those would be ok but like I said I am sure others will know better and I am not saying they are safe or not. I am also thinking that maybe if you coat the top of them once you make it with aquarium sealant that would work. There may even be a better way to put the wood together like using the aquarium sealant or some other hermie safe glue. It may even better if you make it with plastic or plexi glass so you can use aquarium sealant to put it together with. I would go with the plastic or plexi glass if it was me as wood has a tendency to mold in the humid tank.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by vckums »

There was a crabber who built things with screws and then covered them with a sealant.

The wood however, would get moldy in the tank from all the humidity. So for easier cleanup and safety, stick to plexiglass.
Vicki
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

If you keep the wood out of damp sand on saucers or something similar, molding shouldn't be as much of a problem. I know Chermo has had success with it.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.