bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Plexy glass second level

Post by bobo »

Is it a good idea to make a second level from plexy glass so it's like a have two really short ten gallon tanks?
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Re: Plexy glass second level

Post by Chermo »

As long as it is sturdy enough and you can still place things in and out of the bottom of the tank. I would guess you would not want it to be permanent so you could remove it to do a deep clean and you have some type of thing for them to climb to it I would say go for it. Just make sure it is sturdy so it doesn't fall on anyone below.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

Yes I
will do that project over christmas break!
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
hawkfan9
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by hawkfan9 »

sounds like a great idea. i dont know what your thinking of doing but when i read ur post was thinking in my head of using 2 or 3 lego pillars made of legos 2 stable the plexi glass u can just set the galss right on top of the lego's. just throwing ideas out. good luck! =]
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

Legos make great 2nd levels if you have enough room for them. I would by some hermi safe wood and wrap it in hemp rope and drill holes in the plexi glass and put the wood through the holes and that should be safe enough. You just want to make sure that the wood doesn't mold under the sand since you would have to place the sticks under the sand so it is more sturdy.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

thats a great idea, i will do tht
Becky
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Yeah, I have had problems for the last month with mold due to wet sand and wood touching. I am experimenting with dry sand because of that.

Legos are a great idea, and aquarium sealant may help the wood stat in the plexiglass' holes.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
jjokela1
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 16

Post by jjokela1 »

I made a second story out of plexy glass. I lined it with coconut fiber and added some moss and for a railing I used cholla wood. For the base I used some cake pillars and hot glued it to the bottom of the plexy glass making sure no glue was visible. I have some cholla wood and cork as a way to get to the second story. Underneath the second story is their shell changing station. I can always find crabs on and underneath the second story!
Owner of three Great Danes (Chevy, Sonny and Marnie) and 16 hermit crabs -
4 large PPs - Goliath, Rambo, Andres, and Tiny
6 med/small PPs - Crockett, Tubbs, Lt. Dan, Shrimp, Moe and Curly
6 Ecuadorians - Jose, Hector, Eduardo, Juan, Alejandro, Estefan
MrChapple
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by MrChapple »

Hey, I easily made a second level in my glass hermit crab tank. I just cut out a peice of wood, the same width as the glass tank, and so it jammed in there real tight. :D Has been there for over a month and my crabs love climbing between the levels!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I'd be careful with wood - pine family woods are very irritating to crabs, and besides that, wood you get in the store has been treated with all kinds of chemicals, including pesticides, that can leach out when they get wet and possibly kill your crabs (insecticides will kill crabs).
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.