vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Plexy glass second level

Post by vckums »

This thread needs some pictures of the storeys you guys made!!
Vicki
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Well, I hadn't posted in this thread yet but I will now! This was a quick easy level for me to make with the absence of plastic shower caddies with suction cups and other things. I had to be creative with my limited resources (only 3 types of department stores to choose from, and those with limited choices).
This level is actually two sheets of plexiglass, with the bottom sheet slid over about two inches so I can slide the top sheet with the stuff on it over to refresh the water pools down below.
I used suction cup hooks to suspend the level, and placed crafters plastic sheets used for hook rugs for traction. The shelf is where the shell shop is. I had decided just this morning to give the guys a good spot with some EE so they can burrow to their heart's content. I have one in the EE on my second level in the center who I fear has gone down for a molt, in EE that is only as deep as he is, and not only that, it's a traffic area (he's right at the bottom of the piece of cork wood that is the bridge to the plexi-glass level).
I originally had a single sheet, but it was bowing under the light weight that was on it and I needed extra support for the added weight I was putting on. Is working great so far.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by vckums »

That is a great design!!
Vicki