Easy Second Layer

Questions about designing a terrarium.
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Re: Easy Second Layer

Post by krabby_katie »

That's cool. I'll have to look around for some.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
crabbylvr336
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

Post by crabbylvr336 »

I dont know if i can have a second level in my tank, any ideas?

p.s. my hermit crab just finished molting and im going to move into his new cage when hes completly done!! Heres his new cage: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753326

Thanks!!!
Crabbylvr336 :D
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

crabbylvr336 wrote:p.s. my hermit crab just finished molting and im going to move into his new cage when hes completly done!! Heres his new cage: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753326
As Erik told you in another thread, I have to agree with him. I don't like the idea of that plastic crab shack. It appears as though it wouldn't be able to hold in heat and humidity very well and you can't fill it up with a deep-enough substrate. You can use it as a play pen if you really want to, but otherwise, I'd get a refund and buy a glass aquarium instead.
Wai
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29

Post by bobo »

yeah crabby lvr, that tank is really bad and it is WAY to small, also it is cruel to have just one hermit crab. BUY A TEN GALLON A.S.A.P
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Eric and Wai on this. Those who have even attempted to use these as an iso tank had nothing but hermie complications with them. There is no way to use a warming source on this thing, and the little hermie UTH's they sell do not put out the warmth a hermie needs. With wire openings on both sides of this thing there is no safe way to enclose the openings to hold in the humidity that hermies need to breath through their modified gills. The wire openings on the side are painted, and does chip easily, and once chipped it exposes the metal underneath that then creates a rust hazard. There isn't enough room within this shack to offer proper sized water ponds so the hermie can climb in with ease and soak or fill his shell with water that he needs. For the $24.99 (plus tax) this thing is listed for at PetSmart (which is normally lower than what they actually sell for in the stores) one can go to WalMart and buy a 10 gallon fish tank for about $10. One can go to WalMarts hardware department and pick up a thermometer humidity digital combo unit for about $5-$6 and still only need to put about $16 to buy a proper UTH (under tank heater) to warm 1/2 of the substrate. So if one adds up the above (not including sales tax) for another $7 one could have a proper crabitat for their hermies. As for a lid, one can always make a home made one, or use the plastic lid off of a container until one could save for a glass/plexiglas lid.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

crabbylvr336, you're lucky to be in the US and have access to inexpensive glass aquariums. The ones around my area are relatively costly.
Wai
crabbylvr336
Zygote
Zygote

Post by crabbylvr336 »

ok thanks you guys, im glad i havn't put my hermit crab in thier yet, ill try to get a 10 gallon tank and another buddy for him.

Crabbylvr336
crabbylvr336
Zygote
Zygote

Post by crabbylvr336 »

I dont think im aloud to get a tank right now. im glad my hermie's molting in his old cage, so hes happy right now. when he's done (probably in a few days) what should i do? i dont think i can stand having him in his old glass tank! Any ideas on how to make it better? Any stores i could go to to get second level stuff? Maybe it would make him happy to have more space (like a second level).

crabbylvr336
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

How big is your old glass tank? Stick to that for now. I wouldn't bother with the plastic tub. Would you like to take a photo of your glass tank for us to have a look?

You can go for a turtle dock to make a second level.

Why are your parents against you getting a glass tank?
Wai
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20

Post by vckums »

If you're in the US check out these sites for free or cheap tanks.
www.freecycle.org
www.craigslist.org

Also if you make a post in the classifieds section here, some people might have extra tanks that are in your area.
Vicki