emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Easy Second Layer

Post by emmac350 »

Hey all, I just went to Wal-Mart, and in the houseware section by all the toilet plungers, scrubbers, etc. they have these soap dishes that attach not by suction cups that can fall but by the Command 3M sticky things. The strips are waterproof and come off without residue (I use some of their other hooks to hold my giant bath sheet towel and such in the bathroom).

The nice thing about them as well, is there is a mounting bracket-type thing that the soap dish can come off of, so you can remove it and clean it off then put it back in the same place. It won't fall off either, so your crabs are safe.

Just thought I'd pass it on!

Link is here: http://doitbest.com/Soap+dishes+and+toi ... 618500.dib
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Re: Easy Second Layer

Post by erikleeson »

Great find! Very cheap and attractive as well.

But what do you mean the suction cup ones can fall off?
They are meant for holding shampoo bottles, soap and shaving cream and stuff - all heavier than hermies. If you are having difficulties with suction cup soap dishes, try rubbing the cups with water. They stick and hold on tight.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

The shower caddies don't fall off as much as the soap dishes do. I haven't experienced it as I'm just now starting to get my second layer off the ground, so to speak. XD I've heard other people complain about their suction cups falling and such.

The adhesive strips are also nice for sticking other things to the 'tat...I'm using an extra waterproof 3M strip to hold my thermometer/humidity gauge to the wall, about 2" off of the surface so I can continually see the temp/humidity.

I have learned that the humidity in the 'tat is TOTALLY different from the humidity read from the top of the 'tat. I had my thermometer/humidity gauge in the middle of the top of my lid right over a hole. Needless to say, I had much trouble "keeping my humidity up" when it was actually higher than it needed to be. *| Oops...

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by erikleeson »

I use my second level as a jumbo shower caddy that is large enough for shampoo bottles. They stick with two large suction cups.

I also have a small pack of Velcro stickers. I use them on my fake plants so they are more secure.
ERIK LEESON

SEE THEM HERE

bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by bobo »

I dont have a second level :(
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by erikleeson »

second level works best in larger enclosures. My 25 gallon is very tall so it works easy for me.
ERIK LEESON

SEE THEM HERE

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Mine is just in a normal 10 gallon aquarium. It's maybe four or five inches above the substrate, but it's better than nothing, or at least that's what I figure. As soon as my addiction store order gets here, I'll have some nets and a moss pit as well. I am just trying to make my 'tat as good as I can for my babies. :)

Mommy to:

bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by bobo »

Mine's just a ten gallon too. :'(
I might get a bigger tank for Christmas, so not all hope is lost! :P
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

It's hard for me to have a second level too. My tank isn't tall at all. :(
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

One can have shorter second levels too. WalMart also sells stacking racks in their houseware department. I use these in my 20 gal longs as well as the larger tanks. But they do make smaller racks too. They are made of metal, but have a thicker heavy plastic over it. One does need to check for any slices in the plastic from the hermies pinchers that can cause them to rust, and they are inexpensive too. I use the plastic craft sheet for the floor, and have it mounted with plastic craft thread. It is on the left side of this picture, (which is an older picture... I use CaribSea sand now for a substrate)

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.