Easy Second Layer

Questions about designing a terrarium.
crabbylvr336
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

Re: Easy Second Layer

Post by crabbylvr336 »

I think my glass tank might be 5 gallons but im not sure (maybe less maybe more). I'll try out those sights and see if i can get one. Since my hermi's molting, he should be okay for a while.

thanks,
crabbylvr336
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If you can measure the length, width, and height of the tank and place the measurements here, there is a way to help you figure out what size tank you have.
The 5 gal glass tank would be much better than the crab shack he is in now. Maybe you could clean it up and have it ready for when he is up and about?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
crabbylvr336
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

Post by crabbylvr336 »

actually, hes in the 5 gall tank already, i was just debating if i should put him in his plastic tank when hes done. I'll post the measurments later. Thanks again!

Crabbylvr336
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

I used to have mine in a 5 gal. I changed to 10 gal. eventually. He'll be okay for now. Try getting some coco fiber matting that they sell in pet stores and put it onto the back of the tank so they can climb up it for more excersize. That would give them more roaming space. And you could take them out of the tank sometimes for excersize provided that you keep a very close eye on them, for they'll be gone before you know it if you don't keep a close eye on them. Hope that helps!

HR
pizzie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by pizzie »

george's Gramma knitted him some net that I put up with suction cups.....it's hard to find all plastic ones, so I removed the metal parts and sewed "hammock" on with thread.

the problem is George climbs the sucyion cups as well and is constantly pulling them down into the sand..... theres gotta be a better way!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I picked up one of those 3M soap dishes for $4 at walmart, its' not too large, sticks to the wall (no suction cups!) and I tied one end of my homemade hemp net to it. It's great! I put my extra shells in it for now, but plan to get some moss for it later, and to maybe add another, or find a good corner shower caddy to make a bridge to. There doesn't seem to be many options at my Walmart. :)
I did see a plastic corner shower caddy that has two shelves, and it has to be assembled, but I'd just use the two shelves, one in each corner, and stick it up with more of that 3M stuff!
I picked up some of the velcro sticky 3M things to hold my thermometer/hygrometer on the wall, hope it sticks, didn't get the waterproof kind. We'll see how long it lasts. :)

Here's a pic: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 6E666666--
It would be a great support to start a second layer even in a smaller cage. I'm not sure about a 5 gallon though. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
tabbyjanewarren
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by tabbyjanewarren »

I love the idea with the stacking rack and craft sheets. I had just thrown out one of those racks and had some craft sheets a friend gave me. I had to stop reading and go fetch these things so I could build my own. I used plastic wire ties to hold them together and to further insure no rust on the legs, I cut 2 straws in half and ran up the legs and tapped off at the bottom with hot glue to seal. Wonderful! I am in the process of building steps now with the left over craft sheet and a doilly. Thanks. Tabitha #D #D #D