Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

What did I do wrong?

Post by Arirang »

Hello, all!

I own four Caribbeans, all juvenile, who have been healthy and active for the longest time. Three are currently burrowed, and I know one is definitely molting (she was very pale beforehand). The fourth one is clearly on death's door. He's been out and reasonably active (he was always the boring one, though) and seemed to be testing a new shell early this morning when I left for work. Now, however, he's naked next to it and lying on his side with his limbs curled in. I went to remove him, but he responded slightly to my touch, so I left him be. He was a lovely brown color earlier, and now he's very pale.

I have an automatic humidifier running 24/7 with dechlorinated water. They have access to food and water. The temperature is ideal. There is no visible mold or fungus or mites or anything similar, and it can't be bullying because the other three are still burrowed; I am not at all certain what I did wrong. Could it have been loneliness/depression from being alone these past couple of weeks?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: What did I do wrong?

Post by aussieJJDude »

That doesn't sound very good.

I would try and reshell sooner rather than later, since the shell helps protect their abdomen and it could dry out - or be damaged - if left exposed for too long!

The fact that he is pale, it does sound like he is trying to moult. However, moulting crabs usually moult within their shells.

Whats the temperature roughly? Same as humidity? Ive noticed that low humidity/temps can lead to crabs streaking.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.