Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Suspected death underground

Post by crabdad »

Hey guys,

Just set up some new hermit crabs in a tank about 2 weeks ago. Everything should be good as far as the living conditions are concerned (did a ton of research.) On maybe day two of setting up the tank, the smallest crab burrowed and still hasn't come back up. The larger grabs seem fine/happy. Looking through the glass there's a very small moist circle in the eco that could possibly be the small crab. I'm worried it passed due to stress or whatnot. However, I haven't done any sort of checking because it may be molting. I really have no idea. The tank itself does not necessarily smelly fishy, at least not enough to really suspect death on that alone.

So what do you think I should do? How long should I assume the crab is molting before investigating? How strong would the rotten fish smell be if the crab died under the eco earch? Any other tips much appreciated. Thanks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Suspected death underground

Post by Wai »

You might not be able to smell any odour if the crab is buried; however, I would give the crab more time to be alone. If it hasn't surfaced for more than two months then I would go check on it.
Wai