heyy!

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
Chara'sHermies
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

heyy!

Post by Chara'sHermies »

I'm Chara, soon-to-be owner of two or three crabs! I'm 14, and I absolutely love the little guys! I have done so much research to prepare for these little dudes, but I still may have questions sometimes. I am going to get a 15 gallon tank with a humidifier and a heater, and all the other necessary equipment. I have two names for my hermit crabs, Hermes and Athena. I need one more name! If anyone has a suggestion, let me know!
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125

Re: heyy!

Post by StellaCrab »

Hello, and welcome to the HCP! :)

I recommend one medium hermit crab per ten gallons, that seems to be where the risk of overcrowding is kept to a minimum. You will need to have at least six inches of substrate, or three times deeper than your largest crab is big (whichever is bigger) for proper molting space. Ensure that your substrate is mixed with dechlorinated freshwater or marine salt water to a sandcastle consistency.

I am not sure how experienced you are care wise, but there are a lot of helpful guides posted on this forum, you just need to know what you are looking for :) Here is the guide page that contains all information for starting a hermit crab tank, as well as basic care and extra tips. I suggest reading everything and learning as much as possible before getting your crabs! :)
https://hermitcrabparadise.com/crabcare/

Hermes & Athena are great names! Good luck!
alexsmith123
Zygote
Zygote

Post by alexsmith123 »

Hello Chara, looking forward with you and your pet's journey!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Hey. Welcome to the board. Great names, have you considered to keep the naming convention and stick with more greek gods/goddesses?
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Sara Cobbler
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35

Post by Sara Cobbler »

How about Hera or Zeus?
My crabs' names are: Angela, Bubbles, Sandy, and Shelldon