Hi! DK here, Hope the New Year brings great things

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
dk58
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Hi! DK here, Hope the New Year brings great things

Post by dk58 »

I've owned my hermies for 3 years. I don't know the exact date. My granddaughter was visiting and her mother bought her a hermit crab (what was she thinking?). They couldn't fly back to PA with him so I inherited him. His name is Mr. Crabs. He was in a 4x8 plastic container with a built in water dish. It only had 1/4 inch of sand and a bunch of tiny dyed shells. I knew nothing about hermies but I felt sorry for him, so I went to Petsmart and purchased a 10 gallon tank. The sales person "helped" me buy some cheaper options to the things in my cart. I ended up with sand for iguanas, living things salt, and a second Hermit crab who is named Larry (My granddaughter is a sponge Bob fan). So I am wondering why I've kept them alive so long using blacklisted things. The wrong salt, the wrong food, the wrong sand etc..
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Hi! DK here, Hope the New Year brings great things

Post by aussieJJDude »

Welcome to HCP! Unfortunately a lot of us end up in the same boat as you, but kudos for doing your research! The good thing is that its easy to turn things around and make and ideal crabitat!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
alexsmith123
Zygote
Zygote

Re: Hi! DK here, Hope the New Year brings great things

Post by alexsmith123 »

It's almost a year after you posted it. So how's your pets by the way?