New Member with questions

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
Shauna*
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

New Member with questions

Post by Shauna* »

Hi my name is Shauna. I am a new member and a fairly new crab owner. I have 8. I have had my biggest crab named George a little over a year now. I love all my crabs dearly. I have a lot of questions about foods I can and can't feed. I was wondering if I can feed my hermit crabs the leaves of beets?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: New Member with questions

Post by aussieJJDude »

If humans eat them, then i personally think its a safe and easy to remember rule to go by if your trying to determine if something is safe.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

There is a safe food list in the Crab care section. Humans and hermies do have different requirements.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

aussieJJDude wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 15:08 If humans eat them, then i personally think its a safe and easy to remember rule to go by if your trying to determine if something is safe.
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... n/food.php
Should I feed them bread, chips, chocolate and other 'man-made' foods?
No. Such highly processed foods are often full of sugar, table salt and other potentially harmful substances. Stick to raw ingredients unless they are food mixes prepared by experienced crabbers. Organic food is one of the best options, but since it is not always accessible or affordable to everyone, thoroughly clean everything with dechlorinated water before feeding them to your hermit crabs.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Of course. Thanks for the clarification, Lady! i meant it more as a health food, organic kind of way. For the newbie, its impossible to remember everything, but a generalised rule can help give everyone a general idea on what is safe...

Carol of Crabworks has feed her crabs what we would consider processed, even though I dont agree it might provide some insight that process isn't as bad as we think... Even then, I have at time offered foods with table salts (since its the anticaking agents what makes it processed) and sugars (non-refined) and the crabs do enjoy them. Do I offer it daily - GOD NO! But as an occasional treat if mixed in with other foods, yes.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

aussieJJDude wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 11:03 Of course. Thanks for the clarification, Lady! i meant it more as a health food, organic kind of way. For the newbie, its impossible to remember everything, but a generalised rule can help give everyone a general idea on what is safe...
To a newbie who is asking for help, usually it is best to give the best answer. There are many sites who give general information that normally is misleading.
CrabWorks, Once a month or two did offer a very small piece of Vienna sausage.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)