Newby from newcastle

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
sodium
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Newby from newcastle

Post by sodium »

Just wanted to say G'day :) I recently bought two small hermies for my 4 yr olds bday, with every intention that I would be looking after them :)
Luckily I found this site before purchasing, there is certainly a lot to learn. Our crabs are Elvis and Chester. They were both active when we got them, loved climbing everywhere, we're eating and pooing like crazy, particularly the first few days. Elvis has been MIA just over a week now so I am suspecting a moult? We only had them two weeks before I couldn't find him and now Chester is digging like crazy too. Since Elvis went down Chester has also seemed depressed lol does that sound silly? I think I might have to get them another friend.

They are very cute, inquisitive, incredible little creatures and I hope we have them for many years.

We went to the Sydney show recently and they had a stand selling hermit crabs, think gravel and little plastic containers, and painted shells. It was so popular... This was before I did my research (as I do with everything particularly the purchase of another family member!). So we didn't look at the stand too much as I had zero intention of buying but the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach, it's actually animal torture. How do they get away with it??
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Newby from newcastle

Post by Wai »

Welcome to the forum! It is a shame how hermit crabs are portrayed by sellers. It makes me wonder how many die due to their owners not knowing the best for them.
Wai
CAS_678
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 11

Re: Newby from newcastle

Post by CAS_678 »

Hi and welcome!
I also bought Hermies for my kids with the intention of caring for them myself!
And I also saw those krabooz which got me interested in the crabs, however after researching I realised how terrible they are.
I'm in Sydney so we can let each other know of supplies around!
New carer of 3 Australian Land Hermit Crabs & on a very steep learning curve!
First moult: May 2013!