naejakire
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Crab took a Tumble

Post by naejakire »

This is the best section I could think of putting this in. The other night I took my crab out to roam my room. He usually spots a dark spot and heads for it then sits there until I put him back. I wasn't sure how much he liked getting out of the tank until the next day.

When I woke up I thought he had buried himself in his little hole he has dug to sleep in. Before I left for school I happened to turn to look back in my room and spotted him beneath my bed. He had escaped and most likely had fallen almost three feet. He had broken through a climbing wall that was glued over a missing part in the tank(it's a turtle tank).

He seems fine and has been active, but I have a question. Does anyone have experience with a crab escaping, falling, then repeating the behavior? I want to know if there's a chance he "learned his lesson." I have fixed the situation but I was wondering if he would keep trying to get out. (there is a glass lid covering the top)

Thanks!
Ecuadorian: Napoleon
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Crab took a Tumble

Post by Wai »

Hermit crabs enjoy escaping the tank, so the chances are that he'll keep hunting for escape routes.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Wai. For your question
"I want to know if there's a chance he "learned his lesson."
will he relate that "going through this hole I fell and got hurt", no. Hermies do not relate to things like this as humans or dogs do. (and possibly a few other creatures) Same as if they are put on a table, they have no depth perception. They would continuously walk off the edge of a table if precautions were not taken.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
naejakire
Zygote
Zygote

Post by naejakire »

Thank you for replying!

I think I might seal the area without glass with plexiglass, even though I have it covered. I feel better that way since my crab is starting to "come out of his shell" so to speak. He seems to be one of those shy but mischievious crabs.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

With training it may be possible to teach a land hermit crab something, but they are extremely difficult to tame (if even possible in the first place). I have never tried taming mine - I just let them be themselves.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

By sealing, will there still be air flow in the tank? One needs fresh air/oxygen within the tank too.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
naejakire
Zygote
Zygote

Post by naejakire »

Oh, I could definitely do it in a way that there would be airflow, wouldn't want to suffocate him!

I don't think I'll bother taming him either, he's actually pretty calm so the whole thing was extremely surprising. His natural "crabbiness" is endearing anyway.