babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Is it normal? daytime activity?

Post by babesbarn »

I have a question about Spiderman Ted my hermit crab. He is really happy I guess and normally he likes to stay above the coco bedding unlike his pal Hercules. Every day, I know they go to the rear of the tank for their hiding spot but I have a cart on wheels and turn it around facing daylight. Always seems ok but wonder if it is normal for Spiderman Ted to spread himself open alot out of the shell and sort of be belly to the glass toward the sunlight. Then be active during the day too?
He is not in the direct sun but daylight is apparant and he likes to hang out there. He is active too in that corner more today than he ususally is. Nice red color and paler on the undersides. Humidity is 75% temperature is 74 degrees. I wonder if he can smell those nuts I have in the tank because last night the two of them each had their own dinner bowl!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Is it normal? daytime activity?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Belly against the glass, as in he is trying to climb the glass walls of the tank? Is he showing any pms signs?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by babesbarn »

Actually thought he was just stretching out and he went back to his above substrate corner and hung out for the rest of the day. My concern is that I will not be able to really "spot" the pms sign because I am such a "newbie". Even with all the info here, I see Spiderman visual but his partner Hercules likes to bury himself. I caught both of them eating two nights ago, and see that some food is gone in the veggie dish. Hercules I can never get a good look at as he tends to find a different spot to hide out sometimes. As far as what Spiderman himself is looking like, he is not drinking overly. And I think the only way to "see" it is to get up at night and watch them but they disappear. I tried to look at Spidermans eyes but when he sees movement he retracts his head back into the shell.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sounds a bit normal for newbie hermies. Reminds me how when we had new ones we would crawl over to the tank to get a look without startling the newbies. Very slow movements too so we could get a peek. ;) Goodness some of the things one will do for a little peek. :)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by babesbarn »

i actually was able to pick up a nice bag of shells at Walmart yesterday and there were a couple that I thought might be suitable for the Hermies. So I boiled up some marine sea salt water that I have and dropped those in a container to clean. I figured that maybe one of them would check it out. Sure enough Spiderman Ted who loves to change shells when I put them in, chose one that he liked and left the other one behind. He seems to be the most visable and comfortable with me around the tank.