Rich
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Crab vs dental floss

Post by Rich »

Hi. I have a crab who is 6 years old and doing well. She isn't afraid of me and likes eye contact.
Other than that, I don't believe she likes handling.

I tried to see how she reacted to a dangling piece of dental floss and she attacked it vigorously, grabbing it with a claw. If I tie a little leaf to it, she bats at it with a pointy leg.

I am not sure how to interpret this. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether she enjoys this? She isn't afraid of it, but seems emotional, like irritated.

Now if I did this to a cat, cats always react vigorously to string, as if it is their natural enemy, yet they love it. I don't know whether I'm making the crab happy or angry.

Any opinions?
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Crab vs dental floss

Post by CrabbyJo »

I would say you are sensing your crab's reaction more accurately than you think.
You know your little guy well. :)

Crabs aren't like cats, if you notice, they don't "play" in their tank like a cat do they?
It does sound like he's irritated by the string and what not, and I think you got it right.
Crabs use their legs and big claw to push other crabs away who are annoying them.
I'd say don't do it any more, now that you've figured it out, because he will definitely associate the irritation with your presence!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Rich
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Rich »

Well, I think my crab (Azazul) does play. I have the opportunity to see a lot of behaviors because of her tank's proximity to the computer and also my recliner.

I saw her gather her three seashells together and squeeze them. Then (This might not be intentional) she let them roll down the slope in her tank. When I put the shells on top of her tunnel, she always climbs up and knocks them off.

And then, she does things like push and then pull a large object across the tank. This is the work of a bored creature who wants excercise or maybe to attract attention. I sense mental capacity in her that is going unrecognized by most owners.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Keep observing, there is so much we don't know about these little guys. Even scientists have not done enough research (it's rather spotty) on them so that we can truly understand them. I think most of what we learn about them in captivity will be disseminated by word of mouth, and we'll all just have to go by that. Many have done makeshift experiments, being as scientific as possible, and have helped us learn a lot about these little guys and the items and mixes we use in their habitats, as to what is safe and what is not or may not be.

I know of one very sweet lady who loves her little hermies so much she carries one around with her on her bathrobe during the day (she's disabled) and it will snuggle down and sleep in the crook of her arm. She also hears it make little popping watery noises when she holds it near her ear, and says it will gently push back when she gives it kisses and "pets" it's legs.
I believe they truly do have much more to them than we give credit for.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Sounds interesting! Tell us more about your findings! :D
Wai
Rich
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Rich »

I am always interested in how "conscious" animals are. Each type of animal has its limit, but that's another story. This is the only animal I have, and it's a total accident. What happend was, my girlfriend was given the crab by her son, now living in Japan. It lived 5 years with her under what I recognize as bad conditions: Bone dry sand, Not enough sand, no salt water dish, too much air conditioning and some negative attitudes by the family. I had to take care of the crab when my gf visited Japan. I fixed a few things and the crab immediately molted. I had to hold on to the crab a bit longer due to ciurcumstances, and she molted again in 4 months. My girlfriend eventuially took Azazul back. when I visited, the crab clamped to a branch and stared at me the whole time. So anyway, she's back here now. And as for people who say you can't tell the gender, I say you can if she likes you. She is glad to see me so she tries to climb the glass to say hello/reach me, I suppose. That's when you can see the difference (as shown on the internet).

At first I assumed my crab had the consciousness of a bug. But she does seem to make decisions that have nothing to do with survival. (Mainly pertaining to fun). I wonder how far beyond instinct the crab can go.

Any pet tries to communicate its needs within the limitation of its ability and consciousness. And here begins my interest in xenolinguistics: Non human communication.

Mad you say. Ouch. Here are a few assumptions I make about the intention of my crab:
1) If the crab was afraid of me or didn't like humans in general, she would hide. At the very least, she would not attract attention. Yet the opposite is true. Give her attention, she's an acrobat.

2) You have to study anatomy to understand the creature. For instance my girlfriend waves a finger at the crab and concludes the non-reaction means Azazul is dumb as a rock. I point out that she has retracted her feeler and taste antenae which probably means she's asleep.

3) It would be unfair to say the hermit crab is built like a tank. It is built like a science fiction tank from a scary alternate world. What does this say of it's nature? It is overbuilt for a hard life, genetically inclined to be offensive as well as defensively armored. Yet when my crab looks at me, she does so with her claws pointed down in the "holstered" position. and she strokes the glass with the little pointy legs. Even more so if I wave back.
Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 55

Post by Jedi_Sena »

I got my first crab from my little neice who constantly terrorized her crabs, but I could swear that one of them liked being dangled from his shell and shaken. I mean, I don't advocate rough handling of crabs, but I never have been able to shake the feeling that that particular crab liked interacting. He was very brave in my care and always ate in my presence and never cowered when someone walked by. Not aggressive, just brave.
Find out more about Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food here:
http://hermitcrabfoodtrials.blogspot.com/
visit our hermit crab care site:
http://freewebs.com/crabotanicals/
buy our products at:
http://crabotanicals.etsy.com/ and https://society6.com/crabotanicals
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

My crabs don't mind me (for the most part) moving around their tank (like walking around it and staring at them and taking pictures). One would flop over backwards every time I went by, but other than that they'd just watch me. They'd all eat in my presence, but never from my hand. My biggest, though...he was an adoptee and I think was handled much more than any of mine ever were. He wouldn't pull all the way into his shell even when I picked him up. He'd be watching the world go by as I took him out of the tank...he's so awesome. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Rich
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Rich »

So there is a wide variation in reactions between individual crabs. Perhaps a generalization as to what a reaction means can't be made on the basis of only one reaction. It would take a controlled study.

Some rabs are more 'socialized' than others and some are just plain crabs.

Yesterday I tried to interact with my crab again.

1) I assume the crab has a developed sense of smell and uses that as part of it's reasoning process, whatever that is, judging from the prominance and activity of the scent antenae.

2) Since there is little emotional empathy present here, I allow myself to anthropomorphise body language of the crab. My interpretations are subjective, and therefore no doubt imperfect, but a start.

After gently introducing myself audibly to the crab, I extended my finger within close proximity.

The crab extended toward it, from the 'neck' as if interested.
*This seems like a good sign.

The crab is all over the finger with feelers and scent antenae.
*A generally good sign. Gathering data. No instinctually aggressive behavior.

The crab then began to lift her large claw.
*That doesn't look friendly. I withdraw, slowly.

The crab dropped the claw. Okay. Let's try that again. I extend my finger toward the crab.

She extends a pointy leg. This is not 'batting the object away' like she did with the annoying string. It is just touching.

?Or it could be an attempt to poke a hole in me so she can taste, but I don't think so. It could be an attempt to hook the object and draw it in for a pinch, but I don't think so.

I think it was a friendly touch. This is all I can handle. I need to sit down.

I believe we are making progress at interacting here.
crypticlaman
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Post by crypticlaman »

Thats amazing. I think they communicate with us as well. Does anyone know if they communicate with each other? I know this will sound crazy if im wrong but id swear they have some sort of dopler like dolphins. Many times, Poe, my largest has been up on the top of the wall and Lee who cant climb up there will back away from the wall and vibrate his feelers almost like a bees dance in Poe's direction and poe will turn around and go to lee...they do their secret feeler handshake and usually go to sleep together in the corner...I have seen it so many times now im sure its no accident. Annabelle knows the handshake but ive never seen her communicate long distance (8-12 inches) like the boys do. (I havent discovered their true genders but they dont seem to mind if im wrong)