monitor_ep
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hermit Crab Exercise Places

Post by monitor_ep »

I have a 7 ft long tank that is 3 ft wide and 7 ft deep. I have lots of branches criss-crossing the whole tank and logs with hiddy holes for the bottom. I just bought a water fountain to see if it will work with my babies. Do I need any thing else?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

They can always use more climbing toys, so if your tank has room, then put more in.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have a 7 ft long tank that is 3 ft wide and 7 ft deep.
7 feet deep?? How do you gain access to it to feed the hermies and change their water ponds? How many gallon is this tank? Got any pictures?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by Purple pinchers »

ladybug15057 wrote:
I have a 7 ft long tank that is 3 ft wide and 7 ft deep.
7 feet deep?? How do you gain access to it to feed the hermies and change their water ponds? How many gallon is this tank? Got any pictures?
I think he meant "7 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 3 feet deep. If it was 7foot tall you could walk in there 8|

And yes i think everyone here would love to see your huge tank :D :D
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I think he meant "7 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 3 feet deep.
Even with 7 feet by 7 feet that tank is huge! It would take almost a whole room that is normal size! I would love to see a picture....
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
monitor_ep
Zygote
Zygote

Post by monitor_ep »

I ment to sat it is 7ft long 3 ft wide and 3 ft deep. I am in the middle of redoing it so hang in there. I do have one Hermie who is the new "Don" of the family. His big pincher is a little over 1 inch across. I need to add more fake plants in there sleeping cave and then it will be done.

I had to go with the play sand at the bottem and I have a layer of the Hermit sand on top. It would have cost me over $175 just for the sand at least. I love my colony, but that is to much money to spend.I have two levels that are 20 inchs long and a gym made out of sticks inbetween them, The Don loves sitting in the mosh pit that I have my fountain in. I do have a light I keep on it at night but it has a blue lightblub and that doesn't mind them. It looks like moonlight.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by Purple pinchers »

Wow thats still a huge tank... has to be about 200+ gallons 8|
How are you going to heat a tank that big? Well good luck on your crabs :)
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I do have a light I keep on it at night but it has a blue lightblub and that doesn't mind them. It looks like moonlight.
Is it a moonglow type bulb? Some lights, even black lights still omit UV rays which is one the sun omits, whereas a moonglow style bulb does not omit UV rays. Is simulates the moon....
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

monitor_ep
Zygote
Zygote

Post by monitor_ep »

During the day it gets to 80 degrees while in the shaded parts it is around 72. The "Don" is usa;;y out dutring the day and at night he goes to sleep. The rest of the colony comes out at night and are all over the tank. At night is around 72 degrees. Also at night the colony chirps. It drives my dogs crazy.

I use desk lamps. I know some people do not recomind them but I have two themomaters to keep track of the heat and I keep them at that steady temp. My desk lamps are attached to the book shelf and are high enough up that they do not create a warm spot on the glass. The blue bulbs I do the same that the white (curly cue) bulb. I have noticed that they really like the blue bulbs and now they are changing shells on the changing room level.
monitor_ep
Zygote
Zygote

Post by monitor_ep »

If you want to see my Colony please go here:
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=4674

I just bought a new light system for my colony. I is made for reptiles and amphibeans. It sould work better and keep the temp steady. Feel free to read my journal and tell me what you think. Any advise would be great.