anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

When's a good time to play?

Post by anniehorsekrab »

I was just wondering this because I love my hermit crabs to get out and get socialized with me, and do obstacle courses, but I don't take them out when they're sleeping or burrowed. When should I take them out to play? :S
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Re: When's a good time to play?

Post by emmac350 »

As long as they're up and moving around (i.e. not being inactive or hiding in a hidey) it should be an okay time to play. Most crabs tend to be most active in the evenings or at night.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Yes, I've noticed that. I've read that they're partailly nocturnal. Thank you! :D
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I have never seen it said that they're "partially nocturnal." While they may not be fully asleep all day, they are, for the most part, inactive. All of the time isn't spent sleeping, but in the wild they are exposed to more predators during the day (especially birds) so nighttime is a bit safer.

I have noticed that none of my PPs are active at all during the day, but sometimes my Es are.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

I've noticed that too. I think it's mostly because E's are more active than most species I've noticed. Most of my bigger E's are venturing around at any given time. I think that they've come to realize that nothing bad will happen to them if they come out in the day.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

krabby_katie I agree with your theory, but IMO it is not only with E's but other species too. I notice here we have E's, PP's, indo's, rug's and straws out various times during the day too.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Some crabs, however, will remain reclusive no matter what. For example, a month ago, I could play with Benny just about whenever I wanted - he was always out and available, but I only saw Rack once in the entire month, and he was climbing back into a hole. I have seen PPs at a store (I think they were a new shipment that just got in) that were active in the daytime despite bad tank conditions (dry, extremely shallow sand, only fresh water with a sponge and two kinds of commercial food) but that's the only time outside of my crabs that I've seen ones active. The tank was warm and fairly humid (it was at 60% according to the hygrometer and even felt humid in there, so that's a plus) so maybe humidity in stores help them be more active? I don't know, just thinking out loud, kind of.

Marie, do you think that your number of crabs affects the number you see out?

Mommy to:

anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Emma makes a good point. Perhaps they choose to come out if they know one of their friends or enemies is out, or just to join the fun. The number of crabs may affect when they come out to play.
~Annie

erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Well back when I was a crabber, my most active crabs where my small PP's and a few E's. Zeke, Luther, Gilbert, Wesker, and sometimes Garth would always be out at any given time. All for different reasons. Some of the hermits would bask in the light, or some would eat, or some would browse the shell selection, the ones that are usually inactive during the day would usually come out at night. Zoidberg is a prime example. I refer to him as my "gentle giant" (He isn't a giant, he is slightly larger than a golf ball but he was my largest crab). He was really lazy for most of the time. And often when I'd wake up and look for the crabs, I would see Zoidberg casually sleeping in one of the climbing areas.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by anniehorsekrab »

My hermit crabs have definitely been more active since I deepened their substrate with more coco-fibre and reaarranged the stuff in their tank. I find at least one out each time I go in my room. That must have made them more active! :)
~Annie