lazy

Questions about designing a terrarium.
suckafreesather
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

lazy

Post by suckafreesather »

i know hermit crabs are nocturnal but there supposed to do some things at night because lately both of my hermit crabs are not eating during the day because before i would see them running around every time i got home and feed them a part of a banana from my hand lol but know they do all of there eating at night and do all there walking around at night i know they do this because i always see there little claw prints in the sand i also noticed that one of them recently changed shells is this normal?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: lazy

Post by ladybug15057 »

If they are that inactive I would suggest to double check the perimeters of your tank. (air temp, substrate temp, and humidity level... as well as calibrate/test the gauge)

Do they have a night day cycle?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: lazy

Post by emmac350 »

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, suckafreesather, but I'll answer based off of what I gather from your post.

Hermit crabs are supposed to be nocturnal - this would mean that they are most active during the night. They would eat, drink, be active (climb, run around the tank, etc.) at night. This doesn't mean that you wouldn't see them during the day; it just means that most of their activities are during the night.

If your crabs were more active during the day and are now more active at night instead, it could very well mean that they're finally adjusting to their new schedule in your house. Finding the results of nightly activity in the tank is very normal - I usually find pieces of coconut fiber have fallen out of the upper levels into food/water bowls or even just onto the sand, foot prints everywhere, etc. Your crabs changing shells is also normal.

All that aside, I would also urge you to answer the questions that Marie (ladybug 15057) posed to you.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.