Do hermit crabs really need the extra exercise?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Re: Do hermit crabs really need the extra excersise?

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

Well I agree and disgree with taking out of the cage to play or leave them in

reason why you should let them roam:

In the wild they roam freely, not being in captivity with about a couple feet of space. Also they can explore which is play time for them! (just keep an eye on them!)

reason why you should keep them in the cage:

It's nice and humid and your house will feel like an iceburg! Also they have toys and stuff!

I'm torn on what to do let them roam or not!
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 2

Post by Sterwick »

Well in average room temperatures and humidity you shouldn't let your crabs excercise for very long, you could buy a rubbermaid (you may want to see the thread from the addiction forum: http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/in ... pic=3423.0 then they can excercise for longer periods. At the end of the day, it is your personal decision. I personally let them crawl round my hands for a couple of minutes, I then put them back into the tank and watch them.

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Hmmm, seems one must login or be a member to read the link Sterwick, most forums and information is open to all nowadays...

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

But even a rubbermaid container unless some form of heat is provided will not keep the hermies warm for prolonged periods of time in the winter in some homes that are cooler.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Do hermit crabs really need the extra exercise?

Post by emmac350 »

That's why I don't exercise the crabs if the temperature in the house is under 72F. When I have them in the exerciser (Rubbermaid) for more than an hour or two (during deep cleans) I make sure to spray the air in the room they're in to help with that (although the humidity around here is usually in the 50s).
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Do hermit crabs really need the extra exercise?

Post by CrabbyJo »

The only time my crabs are out in their exerciser pool (a small plastic kiddie swimming pool with climbing toys in it) for an extended period of several hours is when I'm doing a deep clean. At that time I'm usually boiling shells, pebbles from their water bowls, and climbing toys, so there's plenty of humidity and heat in the air from that. :)

I agree with Emma, they never come out to exercise if the temp is below 72. Sometimes I'll bump the house heat up a degree or two just for them. Spoiled crabs. :) I also mist over their pool frequently during those times.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.